Muddy Multiple Keyboards

cpstudios

Hi,

I am currently working on a project with 4 keyboard tracks (piano, 2 synth, pad) and 4 guitars (clean, acoustic, 2 electric with light distortion). drums, vocals (lead and 2 harmonies), bass.

It seems no matter what I try, the mix is a complete muddy mess. I've tried to sweep out some low-mid frequencies from some of the keyboard parts, but the artist keeps saying the keyboards don't have enough "beef". Any suggestions on getting a clean mix with multiple keyboard and guitar parts? I just can't seem to get separation on the instruements, even after using subtractive EQ. Everytime I move something, another instrument seems to get lost in the mix. Any help would be appreciated.

It is hard to tell you what to do without hearing what you are.

Obviously you will folks saying it is all about panning and EQ, but until you post a sample, it is hard to say.

Hi,

I am currently working on a project with 4 keyboard tracks (piano, 2 synth, pad) and 4 guitars (clean, acoustic, 2 electric with light distortion). drums, vocals (lead and 2 harmonies), bass.

It seems no matter what I try, the mix is a complete muddy mess. I've tried to sweep out some low-mid frequencies from some of the keyboard parts, but the artist keeps saying the keyboards don't have enough "beef". Any suggestions on getting a clean mix with multiple keyboard and guitar parts? I just can't seem to get separation on the instruements, even after using subtractive EQ. Everytime I move something, another instrument seems to get lost in the mix. Any help would be appreciated.

You have the #1 symptom of bad monitoring acoustics. Amongst other problems the standing waves of the bass are probably killing you the most. Try moving your monitors away from any walls first. In a properlt treated room, the "beef" as you say will increase. You are EQing out what the room is basically amplifying. It is a common problem with a simple solution. Look into bass traps first.

Using panning to separate the similar instruments will help. Using active speakers or bi-amping your passive speakers will help clear up the mud too.

Another commonly overlooked solution is changing the music arrangement to accomodate the multiple instruments so they aren't playing the same thing at the same time.

separating those frequncies

i'm still trying to figure out how in the world to give everything it's own space when there are sooo many tracks. how do i even begin to find the frequencies to cut? i mean if there are 3 keyboards, 3 guitars, 4 vocals, bass, drums, and some sound effect samples.. i've been doing a lot of reading on threads, but still lost on how i could find which frequencies are being occupied by 3 keyboard parts and guitars playing at the same time....

Synth tracks...Hiphpass and lowpass (untill it sounds good in mix)...boost some high mids as well...send receive,Hall verb or room verb,split harmonizer(optional) and flanger(optional).

Try highpass at 300 hz and lowpass at 12K however experiment with what sounds best...perhaps 200hz or 400hz is a better sound...maybe 10k sounds better ect.

Boost/sweep the hi-mids to find the optimal frequency.

Last edited:
Back