Monitoring Low Ends

hongteck

I've the Alesis Point 7s and they truly don't help me monitor the bass in my recording very much. I'm almost always uneasy about the low ends of my recording.

Anyone have a method to overcome this besides getting a new set of speakers ?
I don't hear people talk about having a sub-woofer to compliment their present monitors. Can that be done ?

I'm not familiar with the .7s, but placing any speaker closer to the wall will help the bass. Failing that, see if you can get a real time analyzer and eq the snot out of them till the RTA shows flat response across the spectrum when the mic is at your listening position.

It's not too hard to use an RTA if you're only trying to fix your listening position. Doing a compromise on a whole room, on the other hand....

[This message has been edited by Larry Sheehan (edited 12-01-1999).]

Make sure that eq is really, really, really good if you are going to go Larry's route. Hell, for the money that that eq would cost, you could "fix" the room for the most part.

The monitor 7's were never intended to be a "big" monitor. In fact, they were never intended to be a pro level near field monitor either. As I recall, they were intended for low end post editing and computer editing.

But, how do regular CD's sound through those speakers? Do you here a decent amount of low end? If so, you may be having, as most hobbiest do, with some other part of your setup that is messing up the low end. Wiring, bad converters, etc......

I really don't recommend eq'ing your monitors at all. You can find a reply to this question from me long ago on this bbs explaining why. Putting the speakers in the corner is also not really a good solution.

Good luck.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

I had a pair of Point 7 for secondary monitors. They are shielded monitors, designed for PC use. There is no amount of EQ that will give them the low end that you are looking for. I took them back and got the Monitor 2. I have been very please with these monitors although I would like to get a pair of JBL LSR32 someday.

I've found getting the bass right is the toughest part of making a decent recording. Even when the bass sounds great in the studio monitors (I use Yamaha NS-10Ms), the recording doesn't always sound right in home speakers (Bose 301s) or in the car. I use two methods to help. First, try playing a CD with the bass response you're looking for on your studio monitors, and then match your bass sound with that. I keep going back and forth while mixing down, using the commercial CD as a reference, and this does work well for me.

Another trick I use is to put a good shelving Eq (I like Rane)in between the mixer outs and the monitor amp. I'll play a commerical CD and eq the speakers to match the sound my ear likes. Then, I'll eq my bass in the mixer to my taste. Since the speakers have been eq'd to what my ear likes using a commercial CD, the bass I create comes really close to what I want, and also plays well on mediums outside the studio.

Good luck!
Ron

Back