Monitor size recommendation for apartment?

futbol1097

I have a small studio setup in an apartment bedroom and am looking for my first set of studio monitors. Is 8" too big for my setup - I don't want to sell myself short on bass response but also don't want to spend money for size I don't need. Where I live there are good deals on a couple Used monitors: Event ASP6, Event TR8, Yamaha HS80M. Would you recommend one over the others for my case? Music: rock, indie, bluegrass/country.

Thanks,
R

When a woman tells you size is not important, she's lying. When an audio engineer tells you that size is not important, he is telling the truth (unless it's a female audio engineer, then it starts getting confusing...)

Your apartment is going to mess with your bass response (both up and down) regardless of whether you have 5" or 15" woofers. And a 6" woofer with a 18oz magnet, carbon fiber cone, and long throw in a well-designed cabinet hooked to a well-matched amplifier is going to give you better bass than a 10" woofer with a 12oz magnet, resin impregnated cone, and short throw in an average cabinet design hooked up to an underpowered amplifier.

I have heard 6-inchers that were tight and crisp down to 40Hz, and I have heard 6 inchers that spewed nothing but mud below 70Hz. I have heard 18 inchers that would rock your world, and 18 inchers that don't rock anything but back and forth.

Don't worry about size. Pick what works for you ears and lets you make a mix that works for everybody else's. That's all that matters.

G.

I have used tr8's in a bedroom and they work rather well, though they are pretty big. If you have the space for them, I would recommend them (just try to get some stands for them so they don't eat desktop space). As for the others, I have not tried the yamaha's but I felt the ASP6's were not giving me a true enough picture of what was going on. Just my opinion, but the tr8's work quite well.

Back