Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: mixing ~ use you eyes

Marietta, GA- in the shadow of "The Big Chicken."
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    ...a washing machine full of mayhem...
    A good thread and good kindling for discussion- but I must confess, the main reason I opened it was because I saw that phrase in the preview, and thought, "I LIKE it!"

RAMI Guest
    From now on I'm not posting audio. When I have a new song, I'm posting a snap-shot of it.

Thanks
    The biggest problem that beginners have is EQ and ear training. They haven't learnt to hear differences in frequency response between their stuff and the professional stuff and they haven't learnt to EQ. There's a bunch of counter-intuitive stuff to learn due to the fundamental + harmonic nature of sound. e.g. you don't make the bass guitar cut through better by boosting the bottom end on it. Also, many people (I was guilty of this too) stick with crappy speakers for too long and spend their money on other stuff.

Thanks
    I hope you realise that I'm not advocating abandoning your ears, nor down playing the importance of critical listening.

I suggested it as "aid", and principally, one to help avoid the random and uncohesive placement of elements in the stereo field.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    I hope you realise that I'm not advocating abandoning your ears, nor down playing the importance of critical listening.

I suggested it as "aid", and principally, one to help avoid the random and uncohesive placement of elements in the stereo field.
    I gotcha. My post was just a joke. Not a dig at you.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by legionserial View Post
    No one has ever been able to assess whether I'm crazy or not because I keep eating the rorschach cards.
    Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha----g-g-g-g-g I swallowed a fly!

Now that was funny!
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Wizoo software uses a grid instead of a mixer with their drum software, small icons representing each drum can be moved as per panning and as they are put to the top of the grid more reverb is added i think...kinda the same idea...

I do get what Gregs saying when you hear some mixes that make you go wtf??, but I also remember not too long ago when mine were like that...i think the joy of finishing a complete project glosses over the obviously terrible mix, it never ends..Im constantly unhappy with mixes from two or three songs ago, I think thats whats drives me/us to get better

Im not sure what happens when you stop feeling like that..prolly give up and start all over again with another hobby...oil painting next lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
    Im not sure what happens when you stop feeling like that..prolly give up and start all over again with another hobby...oil painting next lol
    Or you go for a different sound/style. That's what I did, and it's fresh for me. You know my stuff. It's as simple and stupid as ever, but I'm trying different sounds/techniques. It's still "Greg music", but it sounds different and it's done different. That's what I'm going for anyway. I did the tight and punchy thing (with success, to me) and I milked two albums out of it. Now I'm doing the same music, but with different sounds. Maybe you could incorporate more real instruments into your stuff. Look at a band like Ministry. They're industrial as hell, but have a whole gang of guitarists. Something like that would be cool from you, I think.

Thanks
    yeah I hear how your sound has evolved, just as a commercially successful musician would, the difficult third album..... or is it the second? lol

"real" instruments offer a whole new set of challenges so its pretty far off someone with my experience is going to plateau, I suppose there's more likely to be disillusionment when your aiming to make a living out of this and cant perfect what your doing
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
    i think the joy of finishing a complete project glosses over the obviously terrible mix.
    totally true!

Thread Information