Mixing Steps?

TentilEight

Maybe this belongs in the 'newbie' section but does anyone have any general steps to mixing, adding effects to tracks etc. I am wondering how to go about it. Should I start with eq? compression? etc..? does anyone have a recipe that works well?

Well, I usually start by panning things out and getting a good stereo spread. Then I start listening for eq crowding (too many parts in the same freq. band) I try cutting to create holes for each instrument and the vocals. Then I sleep on it.

Next day I go back over the eq, and add effects. Cut a rough tape or cd and play it on my boombox, in the car and on as many home stereos as will still let me in their homes. NOTE: Don't adjust the tone or volume from the last thing they were listening to and see how it sounds. Keep notes and when you're heard that one enough times, go make the final adjustements and repeat the preview process.

I like to bring up the drums and bass guitar first, and watch the stereo output meters. The snare drum is usually the biggest peak transient. (At least on rock type music).
I want to keep the meters up about 80 % and leave the rest for The vocals and guitars to fill in.

I usually bring in the guitars and keyboards etc. next, and go for a stereo mix that is interesting. Main outputs at about 90% now.

Last I will bring up the Vocals and EQ the instruments so the Vocal will fit in and be inteligible.

I monitor the mix at about 85 Db"A" weighted, (With my handy Tandy Db meter)

Add some delay and or reverb to the tracks that need it. And Hit record on the master recorder.

Dom Franco

Hey guys thanks for responding!

One of the challenges I have is the tracks have different volume levels. Should I get them all at about the same loudness first? or is that not important? My drum tracks are also submixed so I can't do anything 'separate' with the instruments. All help is appreciated. Thanks again!

The volume of a track can suggest distance from the listner (as described in "The Art of Mixing"). So yes, get them approx. the same apparrent volume first, then balance them to your satisfaction, play around with the spread and repeat.

I like the book BTW, and am reading it again right now.

Back