mixing drums, gain, and compression question

fl junkie

i use fl studio to do all my drums. but sometimes, especially when im doing some thing acoustic with really dry soft drums, i have trouble getting enough gain and volume out of it without making it too harsh.
i normally try to get it at least above -6db. then i import it into audition and have to amplify it with a +3db boost or 6db boost. is there any right place to have it? i try using compression also but it seems it just squashes the sound to much.
i would appreciate any tips you guys could give me on mixing drums.
here is a sample of what im doing on a new acoustic song. i mixed the drums in fl, then recorded bass and 2 acoustic parts in audition. i had to amplify the drums and limit it and all. what do you think of the drum sound? thanks.

oceantest

I'm not familiar with Audition's mix-specs but you'd think that if everything is working right you should have quite a bit of latitude as far as levels. And why (or if) adding gain in the program would change the tone in a noticeable way. (No clipping right?)
One way to check would be to eliminate the volume difference, and do an a/b (maybe a duplicate of the track), one 'original with a master bus at 'zero, one track with +(x) boost, 2nd bus at -(x).
Wayne

Back