Mastering guys...

this question was kind of inspired by EleKtriKaz thread on his mastering internship. But any of you mastering engineers here, how did you get your start in the business? Did you strive to become a mastering engineer way back when you were a kid or did you just kind of fall into it after years of being a recording/mixing engineer? Or did you slowly do mastering jobs on the side and then realize that you wanted to do it full time...or do you still do both recording and mastering?

I've always been interested in the mastering process because I see it as the "artsy-est of the art".

:) :cool:

Hey! You bastard!!! Come over here and say...

Well, yeah, I guess that's about right, eh? :eek:

Just joking - Started out "mastering" (more like "half-asstering") mixes that I worked on, found out it was a really bad idea, started going to sessions to have my client's mixes mastered, learned, learned more, became obsessed... Basically, there you have it.

chessrock said:
I think Mastering Engineers are just guys that are too lazy to track and/or mix. :D
Seriously!

You want me to what? Move a mic???? You've gotta be fu@kin' kiddin' me! YOU move the damn mic - all I do is listen!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!

:D :D

It's my fault!

My personal theory is that mastering engineers do what they do because us mixing engineers suck. :D

G.

Mastering Engineers are there to be the mixing engineer's scapegoat: "Don't blame me. It's the ME's fault the vocals are too quiet and there's not enough bass."

"So sorry the ME had to go and ruin your mix like that."

:D :D

bennychico11 said:
this question was kind of inspired by EleKtriKaz thread on his mastering internship. But any of you mastering engineers here, how did you get your start in the business? Did you strive to become a mastering engineer way back when you were a kid or did you just kind of fall into it after years of being a recording/mixing engineer? Or did you slowly do mastering jobs on the side and then realize that you wanted to do it full time...or do you still do both recording and mastering?

:) :cool:

Personally I got into mastering after mixing for quite a few years as I was unhappy with what I was getting back from other mastering studios. This included some of the best places in NY with well-known MEs whose names I won't mention.

I still do a little bit of producing and mixing, but prefer to leave the tracking to others whom I trust. I also do a fair amount of audio post, and multimedia. These functions are part of the process in the creation of enhanced CDs and DVDs and are related closely to the mastering process.

Massive Master said:
Hey! You bastard!!! Come over here and say...

Well, yeah, I guess that's about right, eh? :eek:

Just joking - Started out "mastering" (more like "half-asstering") mixes that I worked on, found out it was a really bad idea, started going to sessions to have my client's mixes mastered, learned, learned more, became obsessed... Basically, there you have it.

when you say "going to sessions" do you mean going to where the ME is, and watching/listening to him work?

Exactly. Though admittedly, if what they did was more like what I'm doing now, I really don't know if I would've gotten into it - Back then, the mix was the mix. If you needed a remix, it was a HUGE deal - Book more time, spend loads more money, etc. The mixes you got in were the mixes the band wanted (or at least "settled for") and the purpose was to give it a spit-'n-polish, adjust levels & crossfades, etc.

More and more, it's becomming fairly "labor intensive" on many projects. And back then, making a mix 2 or 3dB louder was a big deal. Now, that's nothing. The whole purpose has shifted - Not that I really mind it, but if it was like this then...

Was always into hifi, but hated the maddening grind of tracking and mixing. Got a gig at a small mastering house in Orlando (where I grew up) and was subsequently hired on at Ardent Studios, where I re-opened their then defunct mastering division, which I ran for many years before staring Euphonic...

Back