Lets discuss monitors.

Skye Hunter

Im new to this area, I could use some help.

I know theres two sorts of monitors, passive & ?, The difference?

The style of music Im going to produce, is hip-hop. So if anyone can help me out, I really would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

There are "passive" monitors, and "active" monitors. Active means that an amplifier is built into the monitor. Passive monitors require a separate power amp. There are many reasons you might choose one over the other, but none of them have to do with the fact you're doing hip-hop.

Since you're doing hip-hop you'll want something with good bass response. You can find this out by reading reviews or going to the store and listening (bring a CD you know as a reference). The non-sonic trade-offs you'll need to take into account include:

1. Price (monitors can range from $300 to well over $1500 for a pair)
2. Space (do you have a lot, or do you need small monitors)
3. Will you be using them near a computer monitor (you'll need shielding).

We'll that's a few of the considerations at least. I'm sure others could add more.

He means the studio monitors themselves will have to be shielded to avoid interfering with any nearby computer monitors.........

For an object lesson on shielding, take a magnet and place it on your monitor screen (or a normal TV set for that matter) and run it around. See all the pretty colors?:D
Also xalien, monitors can cost WAY over $1500. A set of Meyers or ADAMs can be kind of pricey.
http://mercenaryaudio.com/adsa5studmon.html

Track Rat said:
For an object lesson on shielding, take a magnet and place it on your monitor screen (or a normal TV set for that matter) and run it around. See all the pretty colors?:D [/url]
I once happened to place a computer speaker sub on top of my TV set. Took me a while before I understood why everything suddenly went green and purple. So take care, only shielded monitors near computer dittos!

when i got my new subwoofers...my monitor went crazy and i had thw subwoofer over 3feet away from it... but the BL on the magnet is so high i j=gues it f*cked it up....not to mention its a 340+oz magnet :)

Skye Hunter, i guess the big question is how much do you have to spend?

monitors

whats going on, im a hip hop producer also, and the 2 different monitors are passive and active. They are powered and unpowered, so where are you located and iz your set up a home studio? Get back at me. peace

engineer

You probably want "near-field" monitors. They will be placed relatively close to your mixing position, say 4-8 feet. I bought Yamaha MSP-5's. Self-powered but just out of your price range at $500/pair. Check out Musicians Friend for a better feel of what costs what and search the forums. The best thing would be to visit a store that has a set up where you can listen live. If they sound good to you...thems the ones.

lou

Back