Latest Death Metal Mix

All in all not too bad. The vocal seems a little too "detached" for me.

I did however take a look at your website. There is a lot of information on there I would consider changing.....

"Acoustic guitars - Whenever possible, record acoustic instruments with a line in directly to the board or soundcard, you can run them through a compressor or whatever else first, but just don't mic them. They are not loud enough to create a strong enough signal to filter out hiss and other noise around them. If your acoustic does not have a pickup, go buy one to put in it.

"you NEED a good speaker system for you pc WITH a subwoofer."

"If the band wants to smoke in the musicians room, then fine, it's their stuff not yours"

"SM58 - Guitars - these are about the same as a 57 only omnidirectional."

"I use the compressor within my Boss ME50 Guitar Processor, it works awesome.
"

"Ever wonder how the pro studio's record a kit without the cymbals bleeding through the snare mic or any other mic on the kit? Well I found the answer after a long time searching. Not just any gate system, for instance, the old 2 knob peavey gates will not do what we need, they are more suited for live performance. What I found is this; The Behringer multigate pro xr4400. This little miracle lets you filter out frequencies, so if you have cymbal bleed, simply use the controls to sweep it out. Notice the Parametric Filter."

xstatic said:
All in all not too bad. The vocal seems a little too "detached" for me.

I did however take a look at your website. There is a lot of information on there I would consider changing.....

"Acoustic guitars - Whenever possible, record acoustic instruments with a line in directly to the board or soundcard, you can run them through a compressor or whatever else first, but just don't mic them. They are not loud enough to create a strong enough signal to filter out hiss and other noise around them. If your acoustic does not have a pickup, go buy one to put in it.

"If the band wants to smoke in the musicians room, then fine, it's their stuff not yours"

"

"Ever wonder how the pro studio's record a kit without the cymbals bleeding through the snare mic or any other mic on the kit? Well I found the answer after a long time searching. Not just any gate system, for instance, the old 2 knob peavey gates will not do what we need, they are more suited for live performance. What I found is this; The Behringer multigate pro xr4400. This little miracle lets you filter out frequencies, so if you have cymbal bleed, simply use the controls to sweep it out. Notice the Parametric Filter."

Huh??? Acoustic guitars??? What in the world are you talking about?

Peter

Those are all quotes i pulled off of the Demon Digital Website. Some of that "information" seems quite a bit off base to me. Just wanted to point that out.

xstatic said:
Those are all quotes i pulled off of the Demon Digital Website. Some of that "information" seems quite a bit off base to me. Just wanted to point that out.

Oh, that is not my site. That is a guy that has been helping me allot. I have no afilliation with the site.

Peter

My bad then. Somehow I got to it after following your links. If I were you, I might be a little careful with taking too much advice from that person.

I would say there are mid high frequency's that are out of control high. Mabe overmastered? The mix sounds pretty even. I can pick out everything very well.

Those double kicks are fearless man. I got a little scared. I noticed some eriry hauted back up vocals.

gcapel said:
I would say there are mid high frequency's that are out of control high. Mabe overmastered? The mix sounds pretty even. I can pick out everything very well.

Those double kicks are fearless man. I got a little scared. I noticed some eriry hauted back up vocals.

I have the mids on the overall mix a bit low as well. I am still very new to this and I am not sure how to tell if the mids are "out of control" as you said. I do know the overall mids have been lowered in the mix. The song is not mastered either. I mixed and have a limiter on the overall mix to keep it from clipping and it seems to even out all the tracks/instuments. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing to do.

Glad you like the back up vocals, that is my favorite thing. There is allot of fun to be had with death metal.

Peter

xstatic said:
My bad then. Somehow I got to it after following your links. If I were you, I might be a little careful with taking too much advice from that person.

Really? He seems to know what he is talking about. But I am so new to all thie home recording I guess I would not know the difference.

Peter

Having done this for quite some time, I can assure you that some of his "assesments" of how to do things and some of the basic information was flat out wrong, and some of it was just quite a bit different. With recording there really is no right or wrong, just sounds good or not. However, there are still certain basic guidelines and techniques that are very helpful and almost always will help things to sound better. A lot of the information on that sight just seems very counterintuitive. Also, the gear list seems incredibly awful to me to be charging $40 an hour. I know that I would not send my stuff their to be mastered or book time there based on the cost to performance. But then again, gear is not everything either. Based on what I read though my assumption is that the engineering isn't much better. Sorry to sound so harsh...:(

"Acoustic guitars - Whenever possible, record acoustic instruments with a line in directly to the board or soundcard, you can run them through a compressor or whatever else first, but just don't mic them. They are not loud enough to create a strong enough signal to filter out hiss and other noise around them. If your acoustic does not have a pickup, go buy one to put in it."

Most likely this person has come to this decision based on either false pretenses or shitty equipment. If however all you have is a cheap cheap mic pre that is very noisy and try and record a quiet guitar with a low output dynamic mic, then noise certainly could be an issue. However, with a decent preamp (even a Mackie vlz series one), an sm57 with a little thought for placement, and the tiniest bit of technique form the guitar player, a very usable acoustic sound can be had that may well still sound much better than the direct line.

You NEED a subwoofer? Not a chance. Often times you need to not use one. The best part however is the context that this phrase was taken from. When I finished reading I was under the assumption that they are using computer speakers form Circuit City or Best Buy. There is no mention of actual monitors in their equipment list either which helped push me to that assumption.

True, to a certain extent. Often times there is a lot of the studio's backline equipment in the room, and most of the time all of the mics belong to the studio as well. Those can all be damaged by smoke just like rack equipment and consoles.

False. They are not omnidirectional, and they do sound different than 57's.

Occasionally I could see this being true. However, guitar stuff has notoriously noisy specs when compared with traditional studio outboard equipment. As a special effect I could certainly see using it. As the main compressor for a $40/hr studio? NO WAY!

Nice try. The parametric filter in a Behringer Gate does NOT filter out frequencies. It is used to help shape the profile of the trigger in the gate. It will not magically remove cymbals from your snare track. What it very well might do is make your snare sound fake and the cymbals jump around in volume a lot every time the gate opens up. There are some dynamics processors that allow you to sidechain a filter and put that filter in monitor mode so that the output actually passes only the filtered section. In a sense, you then have a combination of high pass and low pass filtering. However, even that will not clear your cymbal bleed out. Often times it could make it more noticable by removing the fundamental frequencies of the source signal that you wanted to keep. Judging by the statement made by this person, my guess is that things for them would sound better with a 2 knob Peavey gate so there would be a limited amount of options to screw up. Pro Studios do not "record a kit without the cymbals bleeding through the snare mic or any other mic on the kit". Through proper room treatment, kit placement, kit tuning, mic selection, mic placement, and even mic preamp selection they record a kit whose bleed can be utilized in a positive manor, and not a flaw to be mixed around. Yes they do often times use gates, but not at all like the author of the statement above seems to think.

Once again, I am sorry if I sound harsh, but people come here to learn. When people pretend they know what they are doing and spread false information, it can really throw newbies for a loop. For some reason after visiting that website I felt like I should speak up. Just my 2 cents:)

Hey - Just my two cents -

Xstatic is right - everything he quoted is a bit off (most of it way off).

Yeah, I gotta back xstatic most of the way on this one also.

Acoustic git may sound better through a pickup if your alternative is a lousy mic through a lousy preamp and/or the guy is playing a $59 Harmony acoustic. But any condensor north of a B1 through a better-than-embarassing preamp on a real acoustic, if miked right, is going to sound much more natural than 90% of your pickups out there.

Then again maybe "natural acoustic" is not what this guy likes. He might be one of those, "if it sounds real, it sucks" guys. In which case I'd be real skeptical about paying his rates unless he's the man when it comes to the exact sound I'm looking for.

Then again, anybody that uses the word "awsome" to describe a sound is probably not worth $40/hr as an audio engineer anyway.

G.

Last edited:
Well, thank you for setting me straight. I am not sure what he would think of your comments but that is for him to think about. He has some forums on his site as well. Mayeb you should post a message or two and you could see where he is coming form and vise versa.

Peter

My intentions weren't to "set you straight". This is just the internet. I don't really know how crroked you are;)

As far as what "he" would think? I am sure he would disagree strongly with me. He obviously believes the stuff or he would not have put it on his site.

Bloodsoaked said:
I have the mids on the overall mix a bit low as well. I am still very new to this and I am not sure how to tell if the mids are "out of control" as you said. I do know the overall mids have been lowered in the mix. The song is not mastered either. I mixed and have a limiter on the overall mix to keep it from clipping and it seems to even out all the tracks/instuments. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing to do.

Glad you like the back up vocals, that is my favorite thing. There is allot of fun to be had with death metal.

Peter
Dude sorry, I had my eq on while listening. i complety take the mid freq comment back. I think it sounds fine man. Sounds very even all the way around. After mastering it would be golden.

I used to be big into that genre of music. Your track reminds me alot of napalm death from the "fear, emptyness, and despair" album.

Back