inserting compression

Damo

sorry for the cut and paste job, i think i put this in the wrong foruma few minutes ago...

'sake...just got back from the music store with 2 y-cables, 1/4"TRS to split female XLR...hooked these up to my stereo compressor (dbx 266xl) and insert the 1/4" ends in my main inserts (i use a mackie cr1604vlz)...as soon as they are in, NO SIGNAL!!! what the hell am i doing wrong?

also, if someone knows how i'm supposed to hook up a stereo EQ along with the compressor, could you please let me know...as the y-cables are taking up all available XLR jacks on the back of the compressor, can i out from the EQ into a 1/4" input on the compressor (ie. can the compressor take both the xlr and 1/4" inputs in one channel?)

sorry for the rant...hungry/lightheaded/mad...

'sake...just got back from the music store with 2 y-cables, 1/4"TRS to split female XLR...hooked these up to my stereo compressor (dbx 266xl) and insert the 1/4" ends in my main inserts (i use a mackie cr1604vlz)...as soon as they are in, NO SIGNAL!!! what the hell am i doing wrong?
There are several possibilities. First, turn on your compressor :D.

Assuming it's not something that silly, make sure you have the right kind of cable. There are different kinds of Y cables, but only one kind of insert cable. Look up the actual wiring scheme for insert cables on the internet (possible even in your Mackie manual) and make sure the kind of Y cables you got have the right signal paths. If you want to make sure, buy a cable specifically designed and labeled for use as an insert cable.

If you have the right kind of cable for sure, make sure you're not reversing send and return leads on the compressor end. It does matter which cable goes into which jack.
also, if someone knows how i'm supposed to hook up a stereo EQ along with the compressor, could you please let me know...
Assuming you mean you want them on the same insert channel, you can just hook them up in series.

For example, let's say you wanted an insert signal chain that EQd before it compressed. You'd run the send of the insert cable to the input of the EQ. Then you'd run the output of the EQ to the input of the compressor. Then the output of the compressor would be where you'd plug in the return of the insert cable.

G.

Back