How would you mix Vocals for let's say a Darius Rucker?

MoonManiversity

I mildly and modestly compare my sound to his. I don't really play a Country style per-say, I am playing a lot of acoustic power chords for rythem. Pretty mild deep sound (no B or E string most of the time.)

Since you are already here, Rise Against is another close comparison.

I use ableton 8 and understand basic terminology, but when illustrating what to apply, if possible please use quantities.

If you as well have ableton, it doesn't have to apply to the above, throw up your track set up in a file link.

Good stuff.

I don't your question really has an answer. From what I've learned on this site it's not just a matter of voice. It's how it was recorded, on what equipment and what are you putting that voice into. You would treat it 100% differently if you recorded it with a SM57 than you would if you use an AKG C214. It would be treated differently if you were putting it into a solo acoustic piece or an acoustic with a bass.

As a beginner what I try to do is find sounds that I think are stepping on each other and fix that. It can be as simple as taking some bass off of the vocal or panning for some separation. Would you probably get more help if you posted a clip in the mp3 section or mix this and asked people to try mixing some of your stuff. They are great about it and will come back and tell you "I added compression because of this, or I EQ'd out all the bass because of that". Very helpful group.

The question you posted has no answer though. The most typical things are EQ/Compression/Reverb on vocals but that isn't even guaranteed.

the artist formerly known as hootie has a tone i would call "chesty". any number of inexpensive large diaphragm condenser mics have an upper mid bump that doesn't really suit nasal voices, but might be a good fit for a voice with more low frequency content.

if your mic selection is predetermined and you need to EQ within your software, 3K or thereabouts is the range where the intelligibility of the human voice resides. give the EQ a really big boost and then sweep 2-5K to find the sweet spot for your voice. then back the EQ down to just a slight boost.

be careful in not boosting the higher frequencies in order to get some "air", or you will be spitting Ts and Ss.

Back