How would I mix down a twelve track..

FZmontanaDF

Song in sonar? I usually just go to file, and mixdown audio, but I would like to add some compression/reverb or something to make it louder and more up front on the speakers...like a real recorded cd. Thanks a lot,
daniel

I dont know anything about sonar.. but if there's no obvious way, you could mix it down to a stereo file, and THEN do you r effects.

xoxo

Umm...this thread should be in the newbie section.
Cause I really hope you were kidding when you asked that question. One would think that if you have enough knowlege to record 12 tracks in sonar...that you could understand the basic principles of mixing down to get it on cd. Obviously you know that 12 tracks wont go on to a cd when they are still 12 individual tracks. I wont even go any further,,,it should all be pretty common knowlege....sorry man...

Lighten up, Marty.

FZ, you will need to use realtime effects plugins within Sonar and assign all the tracks to the master 1/2 buss. Then record that buss.

I dont know Sonar but that should help direct you in your manual or help files.

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 so it may be similar, select "TOOLS" and then "MIX DOWN AUDIO". Select an empty track, it will combine all of your audio tracks into 1 track. (1 track in Sonar but actually a track stereo mix.) At this stage I usually save the project, delete everything but the resulting track. Save this as a "final mix" version. NOW you may plug in your effects, compressors, eq, etc, play with it until you like it. Save it, export as wave or mp3 and you're on your way! Should be a piece of cake(walk).. oohh..ugly pun...

Misterx, That is actually not the best way to do it. When you do a digital mixdown like that it's usually not the best quality. You should mix the tracks in realtime and record them to another channel.

"Misterx, That is actually not the best way to do it. When you do a digital mixdown like that it's usually not the best quality. You should mix the tracks in realtime and record them to another channel."

Hello TexRoadkill,

According to the Pro Audio manual, this is the way to do it. Plus, I also don't understand how to mix in realtime and record to another channel. Unless, I record the output back into a new track? Perhaps you could describe the process better using the software you always use. I'm sure the method should adapt to other programs as well. Thanks for your info!

You got it. You record the output to another new track.

I use the Roland studio Pack which consists of Logic software and the Roland VM3100Pro mixer. They connect thru an 8x8 digital RBUS card.

I assign all my tracks to the 8 outputs and mix in the Roland. Then I send the master out back into logic and record the mixdown. This would work the same way with any external mixer or processors.

If you are doing it all internally most software should allow you to assign your tracks to the main buss and record or bounce the main buss.

I would recomend that you try a mix using both methods and see if you like one better than the other. DAW's have given us a lot of different ways of doing things and some methods just 'sound' better than others.

Back