How is this Plugin?

malcolm123

http://www.uaudio.com/TDM/index.html

This is a plugin thats model after a piece of equipment that one would consider popular. I know they make all sorts of plugins, but I think this is the first plugin that I have ever seen (besides L2) that when I look at it I know the hardware version. I posted this because as long as the hardware version has been around, some of you had to have used it before. Im just curious as to how close the plugin sounds to the real thing.

Now is Manley and those big guns would just come out with the plugin versions. LOL

Anyone used this plug before who's familiar with the actual hardware version?

Malcolm

They're good plugins, but they're not much like the real thing.

I'd put them about on par with the Waves stuff, and some of the better plugins on the market. And the convenience factor of having the extra dsp is nice if you need it -- but I wouldn't buy in to all the marketing hype about them sounding so much like the real thing. Remember, these guys are distributed by Mackie -- who is kind of known for making a few wild claims here and there. :D

I am curious about their dreamverb, though.

I've tried Bomb Factory's Pultec, LA-2A and 1176. I think there are better plug-ins, and I decided against purchasing the bomb factory ones. I track using the "real deal" and they certainly do not stand up to them.
I have never tried the dreamverb.
The Cambridge EQ ....... How cheezy can you get?? The best TDM EQ (bar none) is Sony's Oxford EQ, so now at least one company has stooped low enough to..............

Anyway - why not just try the demo's and decide for yourself?

sjoko2 said:
I've tried Bomb Factory's Pultec, LA-2A and 1176. I think there are better plug-ins, and I decided against purchasing the bomb factory ones. I track using the "real deal" and they certainly do not stand up to them.
I have never tried the dreamverb.
The Cambridge EQ ....... How cheezy can you get?? The best TDM EQ (bar none) is Sony's Oxford EQ, so now at least one company has stooped low enough to..............

Anyway - why not just try the demo's and decide for yourself?

Thanks,
but I had no intention on trying them. I was just curious to know from those who have used the real deal as well as the plug. Plus, I dont run Mac. I just saw them in a Mag.

Malcolm

the UAD-1 card first came out for vst....so you don't need a mac they got it for pc too

isn't the cambridge supposed to be the sony oxford but i guess sony didn't want to get down with them so they couldn't use the name ??:confused:

Plugins are just like video games....I'd almost always rather be doing the real thing.

But video games are fun...

I use the Bomb Factory 1176 and the 1176 in the UAD1. I definately think the UAD1's 1176 sounds better as far as colorfull then the Bomb Factory, but i definately do not think they sound like the real thing. But either way, they are pretty nice compressors anyway in my opinion.

I have yet to use to Sony Oxford even though i have it. Ive heard great things about it though. I generally dont EQ much which is why. But one of these i will try it out and see what its like.

Danny

Every test I have ever seen on the 1176 in the UAD-1 comparing to an actual 1176 has come out alomost identical. Look up the threads on RAP. These are people that use the 1176 all the time and compare them next to each other. The Bomb Factory are supposed to be good but not very close to the real thing. Also the Uad-1 in general is better than the waves stuff for VST as a whole, I would compare it to the Waves TDM. They are more similar because of the processing power of the two. But it would be hard to beat the compressor, the RCL is nice and more versatile, but the 1176 is classic. Just my opinions. Also the Dreamverb came out today, free download for registered UAD-1 users for the next 30 days then it goes to $150. Hurry Danny, I want to hear it :)

dudleys100 said:
Every test I have ever seen on the 1176 in the UAD-1 comparing to an actual 1176 has come out alomost identical.

That's because Mackie is a partner in this whole operation, and they have a skilled marketing department with a vivid imagination.

These are people that use the 1176 all the time and compare them next to each other.

Actually, these are very clever marketing folks who have a vested interest in selling the UAD1. This is not to say that the plugins aren't useful, because they are. And as far as plugins go, they sound good, and they take a load off your processor. But be careful of this stuff. I don't think you realize just how slick these guys are at spinning and distorting things in order to sell a product.

So I am assuming you are saying they have moles out spiking the Audiofile punchbowl, is that right? Yaknow I believe that is true, however I don't believe that every one of the posts I have read were all moles. Maybe people that bought into the whole marketing scheme and are hearing things that are not there because they think they are supposed to be, but I don't think they are all moles. As for myself I have worked with the UAD-1 (don't own one however), and think it is great, but have not heard the real 1176, so I can't give an objective opinion.

I would be interested in hearing any comments by people who have actually done real tests with the hardware unit and the UAD-1 side by side. Chessrock, have you done this?

I've compared it with enough outboard gear to conclude that it doesn't sound anything like outboard gear. I mean, if it doesn't even sound as good as a dbx 160X, Aphex expressors and dominators, or some of the Valley People stuff I've used in the past . . . then I doubt it's going to sound as good as the LA2A or 1176 it's modeled after. I can't even say it sounds any more like outboard gear, in general, than some of the other plugins I've used, but that's not to say it isn't very good. I do think it's very good as far as plugins go.

Who knows? Maybe I gave up on it too soon. I doubt it, though. Remember UAD is marketed by the same folks who bring you the Mackie XDR mic pre. :D I just saw one of their little "graphs" by the way, comparing their mixer's specs to "esoteric mic pres costing 2,000 or more."

You ever see those little colorful "graphs" they publish for the UAD? Pretty entertaining stuff.

Back