home mastering of studio recordings

billycatfish

If I have my band's final (studio and home 8track) songs mixed down to DAT, a friend's DAT equipment, a nice new Tascam mixer, a Tascam 246 4track/mixer, plus a handful of computer programs like Cool Edit Pro, how difficult would it be to master it in my home studio?
I already have a mastered version someone else did for me, so if it all falls apart I can lean on that... but I want to master it, fatten it up, add a lot of ROCK to it.

Any golden rules I should keep in mind?

The style is garage/punk, by the way...
mp3s at billycatfish.iuma.com

THANKS for any help I can get.

I use CEP for "mastering" my punk band sometimes. Compress, EQ, then hard limit in Cool Edit Pro. Convert to 44.1 - 16 bit if needed, then burn. There are never any golden rules when mastering, but with punk, make it loud!!! ;) Who needs dynamics?!?

But my "mastering" sucks. So don't listen to me.

are there any dynamics in particular i should boost or cut to make the recording more dynamic and cut-through?
how far would i go in my goals if i simply run it from the DAT player through a nice mixer / preamp board to my CD recorder?

I have had ozone since it came out... has made a great difference in my recordings. And for the price you can't go wrong in trying it. I haven't used waves but everyone likes them too. Good luck

Back