Help Please

CEM

I am thinking about buying one of those small pocket studio type things just to get demo type stuff worked out. For monitoring should I get a cheaper set of bookshelf speakers or a really nice set of headphones (brand suggestions would be cool too). I know that the "monitors vs. headphones" has been covered but I cannot afford real monitors and I am not doing professional engineering, but I still want to be able to get at least a little quality in my mixdowns...
Thanks in advance.

CEM

If it was me, I'd go with the headphones. You'll probably get a more accurate representation of your audio than you would with cheap bookshelf speakers (despite the misleading stereo spread).

Just do yourself a favor, and:

1: Listen to a lot of CD's on your headphones before you start mixing - your ears will need to get used to them, same as any monitors. You still want to compare your mix to a couple of finished products for some reference.

2: When you think your mix is done and good to go, it's not. Burn a CD or make a tape and listen in the car, in the living room, at a buddie's house, or wherever else you can to get a better "feel" for your mix. (I like to go to Best Buy, find a big fat stereo, and crank it until they kick me out).

Back