In headphone awe...

tubedude

By the way... have any of you ever tried out an AWESOME pair of headphones, like the Sennheiser Hd 580's or 600's? Wow, cheap monitors dont even get close. I think you could seriously mix with these and get excellent results. Probably gonna get a pair of 580's... found them for $200 even at headroom.headphone.com Good deal really. Full compass had them on blowout for $139 the other day, they had like 80 pair, and are sold out already. That kills me. Oh well.
Oh, and before anyone gives me the cant-mix-on-headphones spill, I'm aware of the tradeoffs, but give these a listen. If you;ve never experienced true high end sound reproduction, well, these things are it. No shit.

I got a pair of radioshack extremes for $39 and I assure you, they sound identical to my ns10ms.

Some would say this is a good thing.

Tubedude - I've got a set of 580s, and I like them just fine. But they're no good for overdubbing cuz they're not sealed.

I love my AKG K240's. I know that's off the subject a bit, but I just thought I'd say it. :) I can hear every detail of what's going on, and they don't lie to me by flattering the music, or make me think what I'm hearing is better than what it really is.

I'll admit I just like my 'ole (but new), generic Sony 7506's...Infact so much I actually prefer them over my URIE, JBL, and Yamaha speakers for just listening, MP3 surfing, etc.

The speakers win it over for just true cranking power, however. After listening on the phones for an evening, my ears are completely 'lost' on the speakers, as a negative side effect though.

mxmkr - you may want to try a pair of HD580's sometime. I've got 7506's for tracking - and they're great for that. (Can't use HD580s for that)

But they're not accurate by a long shot. If you did an A-B comparison, you would be amazed at the difference. The HD's have a tighter low end, cleaner highs, and far more detail.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to hear for yourself!

thanks for the tip, littledog. I've actually listened to most headphones produced, and I came away liking the 7606's because they ARE kinda hyped sounding. I don't rely on the phones for critical stuff however. I come in fresh to the studio (like in the morning), and listen over the main speaks (I use some old JBL 4311's and a set of Time aligned Urie's for my mains), for that kind of stuff. The headphones are for ear candy stuff and groovin' on stereo separation. The Sennheisers are just kinda OK to me..but I know very popular with a lot of people. The Sonys are the "new kid on the block" kinda equipment to me, and are very popular now for the homies..which I'm sure you know.

Back