headphone amplifier distortion

LI Slim

I got a headphone amp (Rolls) since I have nice studio headphones with the wrong impedence for my Aardvark Direct Pro. There's nothing wrong with the headphone amp; it worked fine with my stereo.

I plugged the amp into the headphone out on the Direct Pro, using a TRS plug like I'm supposed to, and the headphones into the amp. Every sound coming out of my mix is distorted. The silent parts are silent. It's definitely not the mix.

So what could be causing this???

Maybe you need to turn downt the send into the headphone amp? You are probably supposed to use a line level signal to drive it not an amplified headphone feed, but I could be wrong.

Good idea. I will try turning it down... I thought about using the line out but I wanted a stereo out. I suppose I can find an appropriate plug somewhere.

Thanks.

Dont worry about stereo too much. most monitor mixes are mono anyways. You can use a tape out or something with a Y Stereo cable to sum it to one stereo plug if you need it.

I use a headphone amp (not Rolls) which is fed from the headphone jack on my Mackie mixer. No problem.

However, it does sound to me like you need to turn your source signal down a bit (or the individual volume controls on the amp, if you have them).

The mackie headphone out is more usefull than most mixers. They actually intended that to be used as a monitor send so I think they gave it a pretty low signal at the bottom range.

He probably just needs to turn down the incoming gain.

Back