FX effects on mixing vocals

nyhgan

Hi all,

This is my first post on HomeRecording BBS.

I am very new to audio mixing and I am wondering how the members on this forum mix their vocals. Currently, I apply the FX effects on my vocal in the following order.

1. Waves C4 -- to EQ vocal
2. Waves L2 -- to raise the volume
3. UltraFunx Compressor -- to compress the vocal
4. Waves L2 -- to bring up the the volume again
5. Waves TrueVerb -- add reverb
7. Waves LinMB -- EQ again.

When I listen to my mix, I feel that the vocal and the accompany music don't blend well. They should like they were recorded from two different places.

So, what kind of FX effects do you use when you mix vocals? Do these effects have to apply in a particular order?

Last edited:
If your vocal isn't sitting well with your mix, it looks like it's cause you're overprocessing it. I would reduce that chain by three:

First take out one of the EQs. Track it right to begin with, you shouldn't need that much EQ.

Second, take out both L2s. Why do you need to raise your volume so much? Record it loud to begin with. Moreover, I'm not familiar with that compressor, but all compressors I've ever seen have a make-up gain, so you can raise your level right from there.

That's three already. Can't give much more advice without hearing your tracks.

Hmmm..I don't normally have to EQ vocals. Just a bit of compression. That's it. As far as verb or delay, whatever the tune suggests. About as crazy as I get is a pitch transposer tuned down about .25% for that Ozzie sound.

Welcome to the board :)

First off: FX effects is double ;)

I would say that is way to much processing than needed in by far most situations. I'll try to explain why:

1. Waves C4 -- to EQ vocal
C4 is a multiband compressor, not just an EQ. Think about what you want to EQ and then I'd pick the smallest and easiest EQ that can get that job done. But really, you shouldn't need it. If you don't find anything "wrong" with the vocal track you have, get rid of the EQ plugin.
2. Waves L2 -- to raise the volume
L2 is a big-ass limiter to is totally overkill to be used just to raise the volume of some vocals. I use L1 alot and it hogs my system alot less. But really, you shouldn't need a limiter at all. Get rid of it.
3. UltraFaunx Compressor -- to compress the vocal
Don't know this compressor, but if you like it, use it. Nothing more I can say about it.
4. Waves L2 -- to bring up the the volume again
Not needed. The UltraFaunx should have something called Makeup Gain or simply an Output fader. With this, you can turn the volume up within the compressor plugin. No need for a separate L2 just to turn the signal up.
5. Waves TrueVerb -- add reverb
Works, but try putting the verb on a send instead of on an insert. Cubase (what I use) turns any stereo plugin (like the TrueVerb) into mono if used as an insert on a mono track. Also, if you put it on a send, you can use it on multiple tracks, without having to load a new plugin for every track.
7. Waves LinMB -- EQ again.
Why LinMB? It's a system hogging plugin that is unneeded, because you already have one EQ in your chain. Leave it together all alone. Actually, I'd never use an EQ as an instert after a compressor or limiter, because you are basicly messing with the level, right after you've tried to keep the level fairly constant.

This is what I usually use for a lead vocal track:
1) Listen for anything missing in the track, or overkill of something. Like to much high-end sizzle on a female voice. Or sub-low rumble from other sources than the singer. I'd use a high-pass filter at 100hz to get rid of the rumble, and only a 3db to 6db fairly broad range cut somewhere around or above 2khz. I would use either the Q plugin that comes with Cubase, or the Q2 or Q3 plugin from Waves. I would *never* try to force something into the signal that's not there. If your singer's voice sounds weak, it will always sound weak through any mic. If his voice sounds strong, but weak once you've recorded it, then you are doing something wrong, and EQ *might* be the answer.
2) Compressor. If it's a busy mix, I'd compress quite a bit, but if it's a clean, open, not too busy mix, I'd try to stay away from the compressor at all aswell. Maybe just a touch. Limiter only if there's some really harsh loud spike somewhere.
3) Verb. On a send. And just 2% to 15% depending on the song and mix. Maybe a bit of delay, also 2% to 15%.

That's it. 2 insert plugins that should cost verry little CPU power, and a nice verb that costs a bit more but is eternally usefull. And you get a great sounding track too!

Good luck :)

I agree with corban. You shouldn't need so much compression/gain. Other than that, it totally depends on the song/singer. If you choose the right mic for the vocalist and set everything up right to begin with, processing is relatively minimal. I typically use low ratio compression and a slight amount of reverb. For EQ, generally, a low cut at around 100 Hz is all.

Sometimes I'll boost a dB or two in the 3500 range to add some presence and perhaps another slight boost in the 14000 range for "air," though that's rarely necessary if you have a bright mic.

Other effects may include a de-esser, if there is sibilance, or some type of tube emulator sometimes gets in there to add some harmonic distortion.

The real key is moderation. Any reverbs, tube emulators, etc., should be set up as send effects with only a small portion of the signal actually being processed. Compression, de-essing, and EQ are more effective as insert effects.

Woah, too much limiting in there.

Also Halion is right. I wouldn't use the C4 for EQ.

Lately my favorite vocal chain has been:

1) Waves RVox opto compressor with just a few dbs of reduction, like 3.5, gate off.
2) Waves C1 with a threshold around 11-12 dbs, ratio of about 2.5:1, slow attack, medium release.
3) Waves Rverb...whatever sounds good on the track.

here's my usual chain (varies of course)

1. Waves Desser
2. Blockfish or Waves Rencomp
3. Waves Ren EQ
4. Volume/pan
5. Reverb Send (love the Kajerhus classic) I'll let in around 20%

sometimes Ill add in Magneto to warm up a vocal..this would go after the EQ.

Back