Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD

DigitalDon

One of my favorite albums. If you haven't seen the DVD, get it at Wal Mart for $14.99. Even if you don't like them the DVD is worth watching. Lots of video in the control room (yeah - buttons, faders, flashing lights). You'll hear individual tracks as they bring each up in the mix. Keep in mind the album was done in 1976 and the video made in 1996. The producer goes into some detail about the structure and background of each song.

What's really interesting to me is how each of these peoples individual lives were totally screwed up. Actually, unbelieveably screwed up. Of 5 members, 4 were going through broken relationships with each other and the 5th ones wife was messing with his best friend. Still, the album was made and was very successful.

If you get a chance watch it.

DD

That entire series is excellent.... in particular, I also reccomend the one for Steely Dan's AJA, and the one for Paul Simon's Graceland....

You hear several solos for Peg that didn't make the grade on the SD volume, as well as insight into their arrangement and control room process..........

Thanks Blue - I didn't know there was a DVD out on Steely Dans "Aja". I'll look for it. Another one of my all time favorites. I still play the album (vinyl) when my turntable works :D

DD

At first I thought you were talking about The Dance DVD. I'll definitely have to buy the Rumours DVD. That is one of the best produced records of all time. Lindsay Buckingham is so under-rated as a producer and a guitar player. Very unique and yet he never was really necognized as a guitar innovator. Probably because nobody really copped his style weird frailing style.

Hey Blue - Looked for the AJA DVD at my local Circuit City and WalMart but they didn't have it. Guess I'll keep looking or see if they can order it.

DD

we should clarify...

these are not the albums per se...

they are what's called the "Classic Albums" documentaries...normally seen on VH1 in edited form but here in their unedited original format...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...dvd/ref=ref=pd_sim_series/102-8157899-3035364

this is the classic album series....

lots of playing around in the studio...vedy vedy kewl...esp the Graceland stuff...where the basic tracks were 30 min. jams tracked live in Soweto and overdubs/4 minute edits of the jams were done in NY

RB

Blue Bear Sound said:
That entire series is excellent.... in particular, I also reccomend the one for Steely Dan's AJA, and the one for Paul Simon's Graceland....

You hear several solos for Peg that didn't make the grade on the SD volume, as well as insight into their arrangement and control room process..........

the Dan dvd is the best I own. I have it memorized, no joke.
To hear studio aces like Larry Carlton and Dean Parks talk about laying down trax, not to mention engineering guru Roger Nichols, is truly a slice of the good stuff. A must see for any fan of real engineering prowess...

I enjoyed Bernard "Pretty" Purdie's bravado the most.
"You done it." "You Done Hired the hitmaker! Bernard Pretty Purdie!"

I would also recommend the Who's Next one. It has Pete Townshend doing a particularly good version of Behind Blue Eyes on a Gibson Jumbo. Good rehearsal footage too. Still have yet to check out the Graceland one. That's on tomorrow's list.

stone

Re: we should clarify...

ruebarb said:
these are not the albums per se...

they are what's called the "Classic Albums" documentaries...normally seen on VH1 in edited form but here in their unedited original format...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...dvd/ref=ref=pd_sim_series/102-8157899-3035364

this is the classic album series....

lots of playing around in the studio...vedy vedy kewl...esp the Graceland stuff...where the basic tracks were 30 min. jams tracked live in Soweto and overdubs/4 minute edits of the jams were done in NY

RB

Are you sure they were on VH1? I don't remember that and I scour for anything Steely....hmmmmm

Rumours

I read an article some years ago about the making of that album and they said that 110 reels of 2" was used. YOWZA!!! That's a whole tape vault right there!

Yeah, lots and lots of tape. Of course they were in there for 6 months. On one song they had run the tape enough times that they had slowly (over several months) started loosing the high end on some instruments. They didn't realize it until they pulled a safety tape up from way back at the start and listened to it. It was interesting how they solved the problem.

DD

Back