EQing vocals

Jack Real

Hi

Recently, I've been using a Boss Equilizer GE-7 to EQ my vocals. Basically, I'm removing all the content at 100 Hz (-15 DB), I keep the next five cursors flat (200, 400, 800, 1.6K and 3.2K) and I give a slight boost of 1.5 DB at 6.4 K. I would like to know if there is something interesting in the vocals at 100 Hz. I don't have a vocal booth so maybe that's why the 100 Hz cut seems to give good results ?

Thanks,

Jack Real.

Is it just me or is the GE-7 a guitar pedal? 100Hz is fairly low, I doubt there would be any vocals down there.

Could be a number of things...

- Are you a baratone? ;)

- the 100Hz slider is smack in between the fundamental and first harmonic for AC grounding noise in the US, and right on the first harmonic for elsewhere in the world where they may run on 50-cycle current. If there is hum being introduced in the system at perhaps even unnoticable levels - that EQ could be removing those unwanted subliminals.

- What kind of mic are you using? If it's a cardiod dynamic (e.g SM57 or similar) and you are hanging your lips too close to the mic, you could be getting proximity effect bass boost off the microphone.

- You could be sitting in a part of the room with a heavy bass node. Try either some room treatment or even just moving the mic position to elsewhere in the room to lessen the frequency response anamolies of the room.

G.

Hi

Thanks for the answers. Yes, the GE-7 is a guitar pedal. It makes sense that fullness is defined at 120Hz. For microphones, I'm using a Sure KSM27 and an AKG C535EB with Art pre-amplifiers to record my dry vocals in a Yamaha MD8. Then, I make a wet signal with the GE-7, a Lexicon MPX550 (compression at 2:1, 16 ms attack and 60 ms release) and a Roland SRV3030 for the vocal reverb.

Since I don't have a vocal booth, the signal around 100 is not good as explained by SouthSIDE Glen so I might have to live with that workaround and lack fullness on my vocals until I build a vocal booth. I can try to find another spot in the room but I think me room is too noisy because everytimes I increase the pre-amp gain to sing further from the mic, the background noise becomes too big.

Thanks,

/Jack Real.

Back