difference of gain and level...

ndxs

Maybe this belongs in the newbie forum. Hope not.
I recently started mixing live band stuff and frankly, I don't understand the difference between the gain control on a channel and the fader on the same channel. They both seem like volume controls to me. Also, does the monitor volume level control on the same channel get affected by any changes in the gain or fader?
Any advice in laymens terms would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Howdy NDXS,
I'll give your question a go.. The gain control on your mixer is usually used to bring the level of the input device up to a usable level with out distorting the signal. When I set up my mics I start by positioning the faders at 7 then bring up the gain on each mic channel until I can hear the mic comfortably. Then use the channel fader to control the signal going to each track on your recording medium.

I hope this helps

GRIZ

Grizzly's got it. The gain controls the strength of the input signal to your board. You want as "hot" a signal as possible without distortion.

After this, the fader controls the volume level that you want to hear that channel within your overall mix.

While both control volume, one (gain) is specifically for signal strength while the other (fader) is for listening level. You set the gain level only at the beginning of the session, and then leave it alone. After that you use the fader for song-to-song adjustments.

or....the gain control is first in line in your mixer..in which you try to keep as hot as possible without distorting, to be a loud as possible over the inherent noise of the mixer and related components. The fader is the last control on the mixer [strip] and allows you to control the overall level of the signal once it leaves the individual channel (where it might then go into a tape recorder, the stereo outs, buss outputs, pa system, a zillion other choices, etc)

Thanx all. That helps me understand the gain/ fader level thing much better. What about the monitor section of the mixer though? Once the input signal strength is set by the gain control, that doesn't change (as per dachay2tnr)then you set the monitor level and that is not affected by the fader? They are independent of eachother, correct?
Conversely any change in the gain setting of said channel will change the level(volume) on the monitor and at the signal out of the board?
This is how I'm understanding you anywayz.
Again, thanx for all your input, much appreciated.

Back