Correctly mixing a female voice.

minimiw

The band I have been working with has a female singer, and I'm just not used to recording sounds in that high of a range. She is a second soprano with a kind of husky tone. I want to keep that tone sounding true, but I've run into one obstacle after another.

What settings would you put the eq/compression, etc. on for such a voice to make sure that the sound stays intact?

i would first make sure she has room in the mix and if the voice is that high make sure nothing in the same frequency range is interfering. if it's a vocal driven song maybe try mixing it around the vocals. otherwise, a little multiband compression in her frequency range might help if done properly but i have no idea if it would even be asking for it or not. let's hear it, hehe.

minimiw said:
What settings would you put the eq/compression, etc. on for such a voice to make sure that the sound stays intact?
Why would you alter the sound in any way in an attempt to make it sound more true to the original source? It will never sound truer to the original than it does right off the microphone.

If you didn't record something that sounds like her, throwing gear and plugins at the resulting recording will never be the answer.

This is a recording problem, not a mixing problem. Make sure she's working the mic correctly as she sings using proximity effect when needed. Make sure you're in the right room. Make sure you're using the right mic. etc.

Compression technique shouldn't be any different because of gender, only EQ, and as always, there's no formula. You're still looking for competing frequencies within the mix, and carving a space for the vocal to sit. It may be the problem isn't so much how to treat her vocal as how to setup the rest of the mix to make room for it.

If possible you may want to try different microphones, until you find one that gives her the recorded sound you are looking for. That's usually preferable than to try and create the sound later.

Go figure

I had a similar experience back in the day. The singer was getting her "signature sound" from eating the mic. That's the sound she was looking for. I was trying to record her actual voice. In the end, we recorded her with a "57" and enough compression to keep the signal outa the red and more or less constant. To me it sounded freakish but she thought it was wonderful. Go figure.

chazba

minimiw said:
All EQ bands set to 0dB gain, compression ratio 1:1, threshold 0dBFS, A&R set to Auto. Then enable the bypass switch on both devices. That should keep the sound perfectly intact.

G.

littledog said:
If possible you may want to try different microphones, until you find one that gives her the recorded sound you are looking for. That's usually preferable than to try and create the sound later.

What he said. Not hearing her, it's hard to gues at what to use, but I have had good luck on female vocals with a md 441 Sennheiser. Don't be afraid to try anything, hell, a sm57 or 58 may even be what works.

Back