Compressing/EQing vocals

jeffchastain

Holier than thou
I'm a complete newb to recording vocals. I recently purchased a Boss BR600, and I've ventured into the EQ settings to find myself basically trying to read french. I have no idea what "Q" is, nor any of the other stuff. Can someone please explain these things to me, or give me a link explaining them? Thanks!

I hope this is an easy-to-understand explanation.

There are 2 types of equalizers. Graphic, and parametric. Graphic EQs have little sliders that each have their own frequency. It's best to use parametric as they give much more control and usually have a smoother, more natural effect on the sound (depending on how you use them of course). So I'll explain this using a parametric EQ.

Here is a basic parametric EQ (which comes with Reaper):
01.gif

Each little circle you see is called a "node". I think. You place this node over the frequency you want to mess with. Let's say, we want to add a little bass to the track by boosting the 80Hz range. So let's take node #1 and move it to 80Hz.

02.gif

Look at the info at the bottom. The node is at 80Hz. The type is a "band" which is used to boost/cut frequencies (boost meaning increase, cut meaning decrease).

So, in "engineer" terms, we applied a 3db boost at 80Hz with a Q of 2.

What is "Q"? Q is another term for bandwidth. This is how big the curve is. Bigger curves effect more frequencies around 80Hz. The lower the Q, the more narrow the boost is. The higher the Q, the more wide (or natural) the boost is. Let's decrease the Q so that it effects only a smaller number of frequencies.

03.gif

That is a very narrow (small) Q. It is unlikely to do a boost like this. Narrow Qs are usually for precise cuts on frequencies that sound bad.

A larger Q looks like this, and has a more natural sound to it.

04.gif

I hope this helps and makes sense.

I just realized you said you're using a Boss recorder. I have no idea what kind of EQ it has on there. But if it has a "Q" setting, chances are it's a parametric (I've never heard the Q word used on a graphic equalizer).

This has actually helped me understand a good bit better. I appreciate it tons. I had no idea what the Q meant, but now I understand that it basically means how much of the track you want the effect to affect. Thanks alot!

now I understand that it basically means how much of the track you want the effect to affect

Ummmmm, no. It is how wide or narrow the frequency range that is being changed is. If the eq is on an insert, the whole track is affected regardless.

Ummmmm, no. It is how wide or narrow the frequency range that is being changed is. If the eq is on an insert, the whole track is affected regardless.

Yep, look at the graphs and see how the taper away from the frequency center is different because he changed the bandwidth (which is the same as Q in this case) setting?

Just replace the word bandwidth with Q on those illistrations.

F.S.

Okay, I understand now. I'm having alot of trouble with vocals sounding thin and tinny. I'm using a SM58. How would I go about getting a more full sound?

Okay, I understand now. I'm having alot of trouble with vocals sounding thin and tinny. I'm using a SM58. How would I go about getting a more full sound?

I've never used an SM58 but as far as I know it is a cardioid. The closer you sing to the mic the more bass response there should be and it should give a fuller sound.

I'd say 99% of getting a good vocal track is the performance and mic technique, mic technique being extremely important.

Yep, look at the graphs and see how the taper away from the frequency center is different because he changed the bandwidth (which is the same as Q in this case) setting?

Just replace the word bandwidth with Q on those illistrations.

F.S.
Watch out: bandwidth and Q are NOT substitutes.

With bandwidth:
Small numbers = narrow frequency range
Large numbers = wide frequency range

HOWEVER

With Q:
Small numbers = wide frequency range
Large numbers = narrow frequency range

Watch out: bandwidth and Q are NOT substitutes.

With bandwidth:
Small numbers = narrow frequency range
Large numbers = wide frequency range

HOWEVER

With Q:
Small numbers = wide frequency range
Large numbers = narrow frequency range

Good for pointing that out, I didn't know that either. I thought they were synonymous.

Back