boombox mix vs. big stereo system mix

trumpet_man

I've had an interesting situation come up in my practice mixes with my solo trumpet. I've gotten the trumpet fattened up now in the mix and it sounds great. But now a new problem has come up -- When I play my mix on my big stereo, my lead trumpet sounds about correct in relation to the rest of the band. However, when I play my mix on my boom box, the trumpet is too loud. So for experimentation, I remixed the song and brought the trumpet volumn down to see how it would sound on the boom box and it sounded awesome. But when I played it on my big stereo the trumpet was too quiet. If I put the trumpet volumn about half way between the two mixes, it doesn't sound good on either system. Sooo, how do the pros get mixes to sound great on both big stereo systems and boom boxes?? I'm needing more suggestions.

It could be a couple of things that are causing the percieved difference. A boom box usually is more "mid" sounding than a big system, so the instruments that are more in the mid range may seem to come out more on a small box. Maybe cutting a bit of mids from the trumpet will still allow it to be loud enough on a big system, but more in the mix in a boom box.
You might also want to try panning the solo trumpet a bit if it's right up the middle. I have no data to back this up so it's just personal opinion, by I find that boom boxes seem to almost do the same thing a mono radio does, and that's bring out the instruments that are in the middle alot more than the ones that are panned.

A pro mix would do the same thing, you just wouldn't question it because you don't have any control over it.

You seem to be having an awful lot of trouble with this trumpet part. You might be obsessing about this one instrument and losing sight of the mix. You might not have these problems in the future when you use a different mic to record it and maybe double the track. Your mix is probably fine.

Back