Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best cans for mixing

Thanks

best cans for mixing

Sign in to disable this ad
    Need asvice on best cans for mixing, already own AKG K240M and Sennheiser HD240 pro

Thanks
    Personally, I'd stick with the HD240's as they're pretty neutral. Don't know the AKGs. That said, I have never had much luck mixing on headphones, unless the listeners also listen on headphones. Any mix that will end up on speakers is always weird.

Thanks
    The AKG's are very flat but lacking in some highs and lows. They're workable but you'll need a few other references. The HD280 Pros are a bit more neutral.......but they're best suited for tracking and not mixing. No headphone is ideal for mixing really. If you MUST go that route......you'll need to invest in something like a Sennheiser HD 600 or the like.....and even then.......you'll need to refer back to your near-fields often.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    No headphone is ideal for mixing really.
    I'm with that.
    If you want something to check on, you can stay relatively inexpensive with Grado 125's (but I'd upgrade to the "G" series cushions). That'll change your perspective on headphones. Still won't make them ideal for mixing (because they're headphones, but it's hard to change that part), but far more "neutral" than most of what's out there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I'm with that.
    If you want something to check on, you can stay relatively inexpensive with Grado 125's (but I'd upgrade to the "G" series cushions). That'll change your perspective on headphones. Still won't make them ideal for mixing (because they're headphones, but it's hard to change that part), but far more "neutral" than most of what's out there.
    Thank you Sir :>) I'm giving these a shot.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    Need asvice on best cans for mixing, already own AKG K240M and Sennheiser HD240 pro
    I have been using the AKG k240's for over 15 years and i love them. Ill be using them for another 15 years, inchallah
    Online Audio Mastering - Online Mastering & Mixing Studio
    Audio Production Blog - Tips & Techniques Explained In Simple Terms

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    there is no best
    just a choice of which good one you want to use

after spending very little money all the phones will be equivalent just different not better
    and you spent enough on those that you have

Thanks
    I've used the AKG 240's quite a bit but now I'm using the Sennheiser HD650's. They fit better and I like their sonic qualities more than the AKG 240's. That said, all the mixes I've done using only the AKG's sound great on the HD650's. The reverse, not so much. On durability, the AKG ear pads typically age and crack. So if you go that direction, be prepared to replace the pads. Whichever headphone you choose to mix, make sure they they are open back. Not something closed like the Sony MDR7506.

As Massive Master said, it's generally better to mix on monitors. There are a million threads on this issue and I'm sure the basic arguments remain unchanged: your neighbors hate monitors but they provide better stereo imaging and a better sense of volume between competing tracks. On the other hand, headphones eliminate room influences which are THE most important factor in mixing decisions. In fact, if you room sucks, I would argue that you are better off using cans. In a well treated room and one that is verified by measurement, stick with monitors.

Of course, my take on this is somewhere in the middle. It's kind of a revisionist viewpoint. Both headphones and monitors should be used. Monitors for imaging, panning, volume, etc. and headphones for hearing cracks, plosives, editing errors, etc. I also use headphones for dialing in small reverb adjustments and other plugin changes that, for the life of me, I just can't hear on monitors.

Thanks
    Also, if you plan on sticking with headphones only, it's worth looking at Redline Monitor and Sonarworks. These are plugins that attempt to mimic the imaging qualities of monitors. The plugins are available on a trial basis, so it's easy to test without committing any cash. And if they actually help, they aren't terribly expensive.

They didn't really work for me, but who knows. You may be different.

Thanks
    I, for one, am partial to Pepsi™ cans.

Thread Information