Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200 Mic Preamp

ahj

i'm looking for an inexpesive mic pre for recording acoustic guitar and vocals. I use a Rode nt-1a and the mic pre would go into my laptop. I was wondering if this is a good choice in a pre?
EDIT: would it be at least a step up from a behringer eurorack 4 channel mixer or a yamaha mg-12?

Last edited:
I'd say out of the three you mentioned, the pre's on the Yamaha are the best. What's your max budget?

Don't go there. The yamaha you have has better pres. Spend 150 bucks on an M-Audio DMP3 or don't spend money on a pre at all :) Easy as pie.

well i have a giftcard to this store and they have the behringer mic pre for $59, and a presonous tube pre for $99. im recording up in my room, and my yamaha is in my basement with lots of mics plugged into for recording drums/ electric guitars, so id rerally rarther have a small tube pre for recording up here. my budget is about $100 total

What store is the giftcard too?

You might be pretty much stuck if you have to get one from one particular store. Unfortunately, the budget PreSonus pre hasn't got glowing reviews around here. You're still doing better if you could use the Yamaha - which I know you've stated you can't because it's tied up downstairs.

If you weren't tied to the gift card, I'd highly recommend a Studio Projects VTB-1. They can be had for $100, and make a fine budget pre (certainly better than what you've listed thus far). Halion is right on about the DMP3 as well, and that is a better value compared to the single-channel VTB-1.

warble said:
What store is the giftcard too?

You might be pretty much stuck if you have to get one from one particular store. Unfortunately, the budget PreSonus pre hasn't got glowing reviews around here. You're still doing better if you could use the Yamaha - which I know you've stated you can't because it's tied up downstairs.

If you weren't tied to the gift card, I'd highly recommend a Studio Projects VTB-1. They can be had for $100, and make a fine budget pre (certainly better than what you've listed thus far). Halion is right on about the DMP3 as well, and that is a better value compared to the single-channel VTB-1.

the giftsard is to a daddy's junky music store. I can most likely have them order the vtb-1, and probably will because i have heard alot of good things about it. thanks for the advice.

this might sound kinda weird but would you happen to be or were you in a band named within four walls?

Sorry, lost track of this thread......I haven't been or am not in a band by that name.

Did you get a pre yet?

Back