analog/digital mix-match

smythology

If you go to digido.com there's an article called 'back to analog'.

Near the end of the article, if you want the analog sound, I think he's saying that you should have at least ONE digital toy - either to mix with (say a Mackie dB8) or mix-down with (Mackie or Tascam 24/96 ADAT).

I think he also suggests that TOO MUCH analog machines might kill the warm and rich sound the average analog freak is looking for.

This is where I'm a little confused.

Either my reading comp skills aren't up to snuff (they weren't in high school, actually) or the last paragraphs of the article have a few words missing.

Blue Bear, I think you told me that a 2" analog mutitrack is the key to getting that great sound - to get to the source in a way. That's what I'd love to do!

But I'm not sure whether to mix down WITH an analog console (...had my sights on the Mackie 24*8's) or a digital one

OR to mix down TO a 1/2" 2-track analog or a 24/96 2-track.

...and will a a/d converter be necessary if I use a 2" analog recorder?

I just need advice for the right combination in getting a great analog sound, but not TOO warm or soft. Yer help will be appreciated blahblahblah

robin

PS. Dragon, I origianlly posted this in 'analog only' but I think it should be here too.

The biggest characteristics of the analog sound is really captured when the source hits the tape. Tape just changes the way a sound is captured. The squashed transients, distortion and natural tape compression alter the sound. If you really want the analog tape sound then tracking to tape is the best solution.

If you do your initial tracking on digital you capture a different type of sound. Mixing down to analog will give you some of that analog sound but not to the same extant that tracking all or some of the channels to their own hot tape track will. But maybe just mixing to tape is enough for you.

If you have a good quality 2 track analog deck that can sync to your DAW you can track to tape and then dump into the DAW for editing and multitracking. That saves you from the cost and hassle of maintaining an analog multitrack machine.

When it comes to processors it seems that many mastering engineers prefer analog compression and digital limiting. Dollar for dollar most analog boards will be better than the same priced digital board. They usually have a richer overall sound with better seperation and depth. This is a bit subjective though so go with the sound you like.

Back