70`s classic rock\metal mix

Nakatira

That Norwegian Bastard
I`m having a hard time mixing this.
It`s four songs, hopefully turning into an EP.
and I`ve tried to make it as 70`s I can, but I`m no master at this I only go by what I`ve heard before, from my favorite act such as Purple, Zep, and Sabbath.

These songs are just mixed and runned through a compressor, dont know much about mastering.

I dont have a high budget either, so I cant hire any mastering pro`s, as I`m gonna give the EP away to anyone who wants it.

so my question is, is there any big bloopers on theese track? :)

link; http://www.soundclick.com/deepfuneral

Last edited:
Hey Nak, I really dig your 70s sound!
I guess I'm just curious if you do any EQ work on the individual tracks since you said you mainly do compression? And do you compress each individual track in different ways or the whole mix?
I'm also in the learning stages of getting some good 70s rock sounds (most of all Zeppelin)

Cheers to 70s rock ;)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Hey Nak, I really dig your 70s sound!
I guess I'm just curious if you do any EQ work on the individual tracks since you said you mainly do compression? And do you compress each individual track in different ways or the whole mix?
I'm also in the learning stages of getting some good 70s rock sounds (most of all Zeppelin)

Cheers to 70s rock ;)

On my first tracks , befor this one I used very little eq, but on this I`ve some, like boostin the low end on the drums, boosting the bass on the lowend, and little sow that it can be heard on smaller speakers.
the guitars are just custom equed for the ound, and the vox is cut low and bosted high\med and highs.

everytihng is compressed seperatly, not much just enough.
the vox is comressed a bit harder though.

in the end everything is compressed through a fat master compressor
"pre set :D I dont know shit", ratio is up to 1:2 I think :confused: , anyway I`m very carefull not compressing the master to much.

all though I need some more mastering, so the master that I made was just a try out.

I will just try my best :)

Nakatira said:
On my first tracks , befor this one I used very little eq, but on this I`ve some, like boostin the low end on the drums, boosting the bass on the lowend, and little sow that it can be heard on smaller speakers.
the guitars are just custom equed for the ound, and the vox is cut low and bosted high\med and highs.

everytihng is compressed seperatly, not much just enough.
the vox is comressed a bit harder though.

in the end everything is compressed through a fat master compressor
"pre set :D I dont know shit", ratio is up to 1:2 I think :confused: , anyway I`m very carefull not compressing the master to much.

all though I need some more mastering, so the master that I made was just a try out.

I will just try my best :)

Hey thanks for the info :) I'm always curious how other people master their stuff.

I've been messing around and learning things over time...
What I'm using now is EQ/compression/reverb. I usually scan the EQ across an individual instrument, find its best sounding frequency, and then raise that some. I then lower that frequency just a tad on every other instrument and repeat that process for every instrument to get them out of each others way. I don't know if anyone else does that, but I'd recommend trying that, it seems to get better clarity and space in the mix for me.

Then I reduce the ugly ugly room noise midrange and EQ the bass up a bunch.

Then I compress the entire mix just like you, using random I don't know shit presets until I like the sound. I'm going to try compressing each instrument first and see how that turns out ;)

Good luck mastering those puppies :cool:

Also if you can, I like stepping away from one song for awhile then coming back to it. Personally, I end up hearing all new things I missed :o :confused: :p

Nakatira said:
so my question is, is there any big bloopers on theese track? :)

The mix isn't terrible, but there are some things that don't really sit well with me. I can't hear the snare or the cymbals very well. The vocals sound a bit too low.

When people post mixes, I know that they're generally looking for things about the mix itself, and not the music, but as an objective listener and a classic rock fan as well as a musician, I feel that I need to share sometimes. :)

I listened the tracks most of the way through, and there are some timing issues. The drums don't line up right, or drag--there is not enough unity in the band. If everyone isn't together, the magic isn't happening. I heard some of this between the doubled guitars as well. This is something you're going to need to work on as a group.

I really don't like critizing peoples' work, however I think you're off to a great start.

Alexbt said:
The mix isn't terrible, but there are some things that don't really sit well with me. I can't hear the snare or the cymbals very well. The vocals sound a bit too low.

When people post mixes, I know that they're generally looking for things about the mix itself, and not the music, but as an objective listener and a classic rock fan as well as a musician, I feel that I need to share sometimes. :)

I listened the tracks most of the way through, and there are some timing issues. The drums don't line up right, or drag--there is not enough unity in the band. If everyone isn't together, the magic isn't happening. I heard some of this between the doubled guitars as well. This is something you're going to need to work on as a group.

I really don't like critizing peoples' work, however I think you're off to a great start.

thanks man, for the critisizme, I totally agree with you on the band tightness\unity thing.
Getting the snare to cut through is very hard on these mixes as the drummer hits it so randomly with velocity.
The Oh`s could pherhaps come up a bith I thought they sounded ok on my system, but again its nice to have and objective ear.

I will go over these things

thanks man. :)

Back