Which 16 mic channel mixer?

ddbass

Hey guys,

I'm setting up 8 (soon 16) channels of ADAT and need a good recording mixer for acoustic band projects. I figure I'll ultimately pipe the ADAT into the computer and do most mix down and mastering in digital domain to CD-R. (So I'm not anxious to buy a bunch of effects for mixdown, but may need to mix/master through of the mixer for now.)

I'm looking at 4 or 5 mixers:
Alesis Studio 32
Mackie 1604 vlz pro
Allen and Heath 16:2 MixWiz w/FX
SoundCraft Spirit Folio 16FX
Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16

All can be purchased within $100 or so of each other. I'm new here and I've read bits and pieces of the answer to my question, including a nice piece below on the Mix-wiz. All 5 claim good mic-pres and all have similar EQ sections.

What's the best choice? Did I miss something? I don't see a clear winner, but I bet you all have some advice for me. Seems like someone would have done a "shootout" or something. Talk to me. Thanks.

Uhm, yeah, kinda: If you are going to upgrade to 16 channels of Adat, I'd seriously thing of getting more than 16 channels of mixing. For example, I like to use mixer inputs as effect returns, so that I can apply filters on them and so on, and maybe sync sequencers to tape too..

Just a thought...

This is true. If you have 16 channels of ADAT you'll want 16 mic pre's available and 16 channels for tape returns.

Thanks for the comments. Let me clarify that 90+% of my use is 8 track or less, usually 4 instruments 3 vocals. The 2nd ADAT would be borrowed for now for larger projects of probably 12 tracks or so. I figured any mixer more than the 16 mic channels would be a lot of idle capacity ($).

So I'm really talking about a mixer for 8 channels of ADAT that could handle 16 mic inputs in a pinch. Most times I'd be fine with 8 mics and 8 more channels to play with or listen to. If I end up pushing the limit I can always upgrade mixers or go to a "real" studio. There seems to be a good market for used (quality) mixers. Maybe by then digital will come down more in price anyway.

Given all that, and limited budget, here's what I think I've gathered so far -- and I hope you will set me straight. The Alesis 32 with the 16 mic-pre channels and 16 tape returns would fill the bill I think, at least in terms of inputs. The Mackie 1604 VLZ could also be used this way, if I'm not mistaken, and may have better mic-pres? I don't know about the Soundcraft Spirit Folio 16 or the Allen and Heath 16, but it seems I'd have to repatch for tape returns, or use inserts. However, I'm gathering that these two have the best sound in terms of mic-pres and EQ for getting the tracks to ADAT. High priority, since my goal is to stay digital and do the mix down on the computer, not the mixer.

So, back to my question, what is the best mixer choice?
Thanks.

tough call

Well, I had an Alesis studio32 - and it got taken by the bass player (who bought it - damned studio idea went to pieces when the band broke up) -

Here's the situation I see - You need up to possibly 16 channels for 8 inputs. HOWEVER - to run multiple channels into an input, you will probably want to use a buss, since the Alesis (and most boards with direct outs) won't exactly let you bounce several channels into one. You route several channels into a Buss instead and then send them out.

One other issue that made a difference with me (and why I won't repurchase a new Alesis) is that the effects can't be panned/eq'd without running them back into the mixer. (Aux returns seem to be stereo, but uncontrollable) So when I recorded an album with one ADAT on my 16 channel mixer, I'd run an ADAT in 1-8, and run 9-12 as effects returns, and use 13-15 into a buss that was fed into channel 1 for the three mics the guitarist liked to have going all at the same time on his amp. When I picked up my second ADAT, I saw that my options were going to be limited - so I didn't replace it when the Bass Player snagged it.

I finally made the decision to go with the Alesis 8-BUS 24 channel board. Like you, I wanted tape returns without having to repatch. (Something the 1604 VLZ doesn't have, I don't think - you can find the ones for the 8 Bus board on the back) - It can be expanded with modules, and it's a good board made by a good manufacturer. The extra 8 channels give me a bit of room if I ever expand again - the first two Aux sends are pannable, and if I want, I can even get a meter with it, but that's going to more than double your price range/budget - I think the 16 channel version is about $2000

Otherwise, the Alesis was a good board, phantom powered, with inline monitoring/tape returns, and is a great board all around, esp. with only one ADAT. Great bargain for $800 or whatever. 16 Direct outs means you could theoretically record 16 channels at once and run them back into the board without repatching. It's a cool way to go - I just outgrew it. Run it with ELCO cables, and it's tidy too.

hope this helps.
RB

One word - "TNSTAIC"....
(there's no such thing as idle capacity)

If you have the tracks, they WILL be used!! Trust me (us!) -- go for the bigger mixer...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Stay away from the Allen and Heath. The make some of the best boards, for live sound. Most likely you'd out grow the 2 busses before the 16 channels

I just got a new Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro, and I'm pretty happy with it. You've probably read about it so there's no need to run down the features. I had pretty good luck with Alesis too, I used the Studio 12R for awhile 'til I outgrew it, and I can only assume that the 24 or 32 would be even better. I'd give you a review or the Mackie XDR pre-amps, but I haven't done enough work lately. I'm hopin' to get some new stuff out soon. I think CMiller used a Soundcraft Spirit on some of his stuff, and he has a 1604 vlz pro also, so try to hook up w/ him somewhere on the BBS for his 2 cents.

Good Luck

Wally- Functionally I think the MixWiz 16:2 deal is adequate. For outputs you get the main L/R mix plus a volume adjustable clone plus 3 more stereo mixes straight from the 16 inputs. What's missing, other than pre-amp noise?

The only reason to avoid the A&H Mix Wiz in this round-up is you want 16 tracks and some channels left over to mess with effects returns. You'll need something bigger and the A&H stuff falls outside your range for that # of channels.

Back