Mastering myself

If you turn it up LOUD, does it sound good? Not with a compressor, or limiter, just turn the volume up. Does it sound good? If not, try and fix that first.

Dogman said:
If you turn it up LOUD, does it sound good? Not with a compressor, or limiter, just turn the volume up. Does it sound good? If not, try and fix that first.
I listened at many levels, through 3 different pairs of monitors and headphones, and overall the low end (centering around 80Hz) did need a little reduction, 'cause loud it was almost on the vergy of farty. I've been itching to post this stuff since the very first rough mix, but the band are friends, and I must respect their wishes. If they were all assholes and owed me lots of money, that would be different! :D

Well, I just got an email from the band, and aside from a guitar panning issue on one song, they're pleased as punch. They're gonna listen a few more times to be sure that's it. I guess I was overthinking it (or overhearing it? :D ).

I'll be posting an mp3 in a day or two..........

MadAudio said:
With the kind permission of the band, I've posted one of the songs from the CD.
That sounds very nice, Mad :). Very clean, great job tracking the vocals, and then in mixing, mating the vocal tracks together and sitting them just on top of the mix without overtly sounding like they're sitting on top of the mix. A nice fine touch there. I especially like how distinctive the ride cymbal (or is that the closed hat?) on the right sounds; a great air to that. If I really had to split fine hairs, I wouldn't mind hearing just a taste more bass to balance the mix a bit, but I think that may be more of a function of the band's instrumentation than of your engineering.

Congrats on a good job :).

[Additional edit:] Mind if I ask what your tracking signal chain was on the vocals?

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
That sounds very nice, Mad :). Very clean, great job tracking the vocals, and then in mixing, mating the vocal tracks together and sitting them just on top of the mix without overtly sounding like they're sitting on top of the mix. A nice fine touch there. I especially like how distinctive the ride cymbal (or is that the closed hat?) on the right sounds; a great air to that. If I really had to split fine hairs, I wouldn't mind hearing just a taste more bass to balance the mix a bit, but I think that may be more of a function of the band's instrumentation than of your engineering.

Congrats on a good job :).

[Additional edit:] Mind if I ask what your tracking signal chain was on the vocals?

G.
Thanks for your reply! I generally try to be very careful not to let the vox override the whole mix, and your comments tell me I'm doing something right.

I mix from drummer's perspective, so that's a ride.

As for the bass, it may also be the 128k mp3. The bass player was really happy with how the bass sounded on this.

Vox chain: singer->MXL V67G->Mackie 1604 channel 1 with a Composer as an insert->Layla 24/96

BTW, the mics used for overheads were MXL 603s.

I was about to reply what that?

Then i got it.

Dont do it man.

Days then weeks then months slip by.

Thats what happened to me not long ago.

I hadnt played any video games since mario 64 came out.

This is about 4 months ago.

So i thought fuk it.

There must be some good shit out there since then.

Low and behold, someone introduced me to half-life 2.

Bye bye love.
bye bye happiness.

I dig it, Mad. Good mix, vocals sound good. I'd like to hear more snare , especially since it's a rockabilly-type snare shuffle. I like the "ping" on the ride cymbal, but it might be too loud compred to the snare. Sounds good, dude. Cool tune, too.

Back