Web design feedback (not really music related)

D

danny.guitar

I'm making an instant messenger with special features for musicians like collaboration, profiles, etc. I don't really go to many other forums so I thought I'd ask for some opinions from you.

I'm not much of a web designer but this is what I came up with (just the front page so far).

http://www.dannydotguitar.com/MyIM/

I tried real hard to make it compete with other websites, and it took me awhile.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

danny.guitar said:
I'm making an instant messenger with special features for musicians like collaboration, profiles, etc. I don't really go to many other forums so I thought I'd ask for some opinions from you.

I'm not much of a web designer but this is what I came up with (just the front page so far).

http://www.dannydotguitar.com/MyIM/

I tried real hard to make it compete with other websites, and it took me awhile.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

I like it. The text explaining what it is overlaps with the computer (the word "your") in FireFox.

Other than that, I think you're definitely on the right track!

Thanks, mjr. :cool: I had to let it overlap just a little or it looked too closed in. Plus it makes it look like the BG image is actually in the background this way.

I think the text is kind of hard to see. But I can't find a good color for it. I might have to make the gradient behind the text start with a lighter color or something.

danny.guitar said:
Thanks, mjr. :cool: I had to let it overlap just a little or it looked too closed in. Plus it makes it look like the BG image is actually in the background this way.

I think the text is kind of hard to see. But I can't find a good color for it. I might have to make the gradient behind the text start with a lighter color or something.

To me, the text is fine. There's quite a gap between the menu and where the text is, so why not move the text to the left 10-15 pixels?

Hm I don't see too big of a gap. The top header where it says "My Instant Messenger" doesn't seem to be aligned with the top of the menu on the left, I think I can fix that. And it probably would look better moved up about 10-15 pixels. Thanks. ;)

Edit: Oops, misread your post. Yea there is a pretty large gap between the left menu (thought you were talking about the top one) and the text, I can change that.

Last edited:
danny.guitar said:
Hm I don't see too big of a gap. The top header where it says "My Instant Messenger" doesn't seem to be aligned with the top of the menu on the left, I think I can fix that. And it probably would look better moved up about 10-15 pixels. Thanks. ;)

Edit: Oops, misread your post. Yea there is a pretty large gap between the left menu (thought you were talking about the top one) and the text, I can change that.

Well, I made a really silly mistake, and forgot to mention that I looked at the site at 1280 x 1024 resolution. That's probably why I saw the gap.

At any rate, if it's at all possible, I'd try to get the text where it doesn't overlap the monitor. The word(s) that overlap the monitor become(s) hard to read.

Overall, though, the layout is nice, and the coloration isn't bad, either.

mjr said:
Well, I made a really silly mistake, and forgot to mention that I looked at the site at 1280 x 1024 resolution. That's probably why I saw the gap.

At any rate, if it's at all possible, I'd try to get the text where it doesn't overlap the monitor. The word(s) that overlap the monitor become(s) hard to read.

Overall, though, the layout is nice, and the coloration isn't bad, either.

Yea I use 1024x768 also. I tried to make the site very resizeable/resolution-friendly so it's proportionate. I think I'll take your advice and keep the text off the image so it's not so hard to read and fix the gap between the left menu and the text.

Thanks again. :)

If you ever get stuck on something when your coding this page, let me know as I have some fairly extensive experience with web design. Just shoot me a PM... I'm on here everyday. Talk to you later.

Back