Talent 2000 and Jetspeed Records

David Hooper

First, it came to light that Talent 2000 has been taking bands for a ride.

See www.indiemusician.com/2004/03/songsharks_get_.html for details.

Comments on that thread not only talk of specific details, but also mention "COURTLAND TYLER OF JETSPEED RECORDS" several times.

And now it's Courtland's turn to be caught with his hand in the cookie jar...

www.indiemusician.com/2004/10/songsharks_get_.html has details on that.

IF YOU HAVE HAD DEALINGS WITH EITHER OF THESE COMPANIES, PLEASE VISIT BOTH THREADS AND ADD YOUR COMMENTS.

David

talent2k is bullshit. and your company is bullshit. stop ripping bands off. this is not how bands get signed.

fenix said:
talent2k is bullshit. and your company is bullshit. stop ripping bands off. this is not how bands get signed.

Regarding my company, www.2nmc.com has testimonials from folks who disagree with you.

So does www.indiebiz.com. And so does www.krtipsheet.com.

No everybdoy likes what we do. When you deal with as many people as we do, that's going to happen. We're not "bullshit" though.

We're also not about gettind anybody signed. My job is to help bands make more money.

What exactly does your business do? I mean, there must be some "bullshit" in the whole thing if 3 different people don't like what your doing? And from those 3 people, what's "bullshit" about this company? You can't just say something is "bullshit" without backup. Let's hear some points and counterpoints!

wakeupbomb said:
What exactly does your business do? I mean, there must be some "bullshit" in the whole thing if 3 different people don't like what your doing? And from those 3 people, what's "bullshit" about this company? You can't just say something is "bullshit" without backup. Let's hear some points and counterpoints!

People can say anything and I touch enough people (60,000 get my newsletter every week) that not all of them are going to like me. And that's fine, because there is no money in the middle.

None of these guys has worked with me, so don't listen to them. Take a look at the reviews of my books on Amazon, go to www.2nmc.com and listen to the people who HAVE worked with me, and come meet me when I do a live event. Then decide if it's bullshit.

David I want to know exactly what it is that your company does do. Do you ask an artist to make an investment in themselves financially i.e. they pay you and then you "try" to promote them. Or do you make an investment financially in the artist i.e. you provide financing for studio time, touring support, and radio air play to secure your investment?

The First Don said:
David I want to know exactly what it is that your company does do. Do you ask an artist to make an investment in themselves financially i.e. they pay you and then you "try" to promote them. Or do you make an investment financially in the artist i.e. you provide financing for studio time, touring support, and radio air play to secure your investment?

We're a marketing company. I get involved with studio work or touring only when marketing is involved.

I'm booked and am not currently taking on any clients right now, but yes, it does cost money.

My blog at www.indiemusician.com will give you the best idea of who I am and what I do. You may also want to look at www.musicbizcd.com for my latest audio book, which you can get for free right now.

Hope this help.

No thats ok. I place more faith in someone who places faith in my product first. If I am going to sign a contract with someone then I want to know that they will follow through with it. Companies follow through when they stand to gain or lose a security. This is how the music industry works. The artist creates the stock. If the stock seems profitable an invester (record company) will invest into the stock, time, money, and service. You on the other hand are viewing the artist as the consumer of your service. Under these circumstances only you stand to gain while the artist stands to lose. With the exception that the artist happens to purchase the winning lottery ticket of stock.

Your service = selling stock to the stock holder.
A record label = investing in the stock holder.

David Hooper said:
We're a marketing company. I get involved with studio work or touring only when marketing is involved.

So you are always involved in studio work or touring, since you are a marketing company and you only involve yourself in studio work and touring when marketing (your service) is involved? Who has to involve the marketing you, your company, the artist, or a forth outside party? If you are a marketing company then marketing would always be involved, or the company would never be involved. Your above statement is extremly confusing to me. What exactly is it that you do again other then provide an unsaid service for a fee?

The First Don said:
No thats ok. I place more faith in someone who places faith in my product first. If I am going to sign a contract with someone then I want to know that they will follow through with it. Companies follow through when they stand to gain or lose a security.

The same could be said for musicians... A label is more likely to invest in an artist who will invest in himself. Your own money means a lot more than other people's.

David Hooper said:
The same could be said for musicians... A label is more likely to invest in an artist who will invest in himself. Your own money means a lot more than other people's.

Thats what makes us musicians. We are willing to devote and invest the time and work to devloping our craft (please read The Wealth of Nations to understand that stock is derived from labor.) All that time practicing could be spent by working overtime at our day jobs. Ever heard of oppertunity cost? Money is money, no matter where is comes from or who owns it.

Also that what makes the record company a record company. They are in a position to suffer a financial lose from a bad investment. Not many starving artists are in a position to personally suffer such lose.

David Hooper said:

The First Don said:
So you are always involved in studio work or touring, since you are a marketing company and you only involve yourself in studio work and touring when marketing (your service) is involved? Who has to involve the marketing you, your company, the artist, or a forth outside party? If you are a marketing company then marketing would always be involved, or the company would never be involved. Your above statement is extremly confusing to me. What exactly is it that you do again other then provide an unsaid service for a fee?

Still waiting for the answer please.

The First Don said:

My job is to help sell more albums, get more people to shows, and make more money for the client. That is the only time I get involved in the creative process.

I'm here to make the client money, not critique his production, musicianship, or other creative elements of his career. Unless that stuff has to do with selling more albums, getting more people to shows, and making more money.

Back