My first CD - should I make it a demo/album?

Tucci

I am working on a project that I hope to have finished by the end of summer. I plan to have a CD with about 10 to fifteen of my best songs on it.

I am pretty sure that when it is done I will have a product that is good - good original music recorded in a very listenable format. I also plan to be playing some gigs by the end of the summer. Now here is my question -
Should I make this CD a demo only and use it only for demo purposes, or should I go to a little more trouble and expense and get it mastered, get art for it and make a good number of duplicates so that I could sell these demo/albums at my gigs? The cover art I can get for free from an excellent artist I know. The printing of the labels and covers would be the only cost there.

Tips from any of you seasoned music-biz people would be greatly appreciated.

Tucci

Dittos, Rev....

Tucci....
Do the full cd for all the reasons mentioned above. It's a great experience that will give you a better understanding of the music business.
Expect to make a few mistakes along the way, but learn from them and use it to your advantage. Set your goals high, but keep your expectations real.
If I can sell a thousand copies of my first my first cd, then I consider that a success, because that would give me enough profit to re-invest in more/better equipment.
Definitely do the full cd, though. It'll give you a much better perspective on just how tough the music business is. It's a full dose of reality.

Tucci,

I would say, if it's good music, from your heart then sell it. If you're going to the trouble of actually playing gigs, you might as well have another income stream. PLUS, if your ultimate goal is the elusive record deal, the labels will want to be assured that you are a low-risk investment (read, you have an established fan-base). You tell me what's better to say- "I've performed for over 50,000 people in my 2 years gigging" OR "I have an email list of over 10,000 people who have already bought my two independent records. I sell records to about 20% of the audience that I perform for."

PLUS, selling your records will put a better sense of the "business" of music in your head. It will beef up your professionalism and you will have a strong sense of how the business of music is run, once your label deal comes through.

I've gone the independent route. I'm now working on my second CD. When I started, I was a little better than clueless about the business. However 3 1/2 years later, I'm more focussed, goal-oriented, realistic and knowledgeable about how I can make it independently in the business. Basically, as an independent, I can sell 10,000 - 20,000 records a year (half in stores and half at gigs) and do just fine. Once you get into actually selling your records, you'll see that the dream of making it in music is no "pie in the sky". If you're willing to work, it's a very realistic goal.

Plus, once you become a successful independent artist, you can write a "how to" book.

Rev E

Thanks a million for the advice guys. Seems to make a lot of sense. It is what I wanted to do any way. And I will consider it a success if I break even.

So how do you guys sell your records aside from selling them at your gigs? Over the internet or what? Got any more tips for me? I appreciate it.

BTW - most of my music is effective with me singing and playing my guitar by myself but I think it would be fun and more exciting to get another instrument and voice or two to join me/in other words start a band. Would it be harder to make it this way? Or would the music have a bigger appeal with the extra sound? Or what if I just got a female vocalist (I have an excellent one in mind who is great to work with and who can sing like crazy) to sing with me?

thanks again - it is encouraging to know that making it in music isn't an impossible dream.

Tucci

Do both sing solo and start a band ...cover all your bases.You can make some money and get exposure doing the coffee house thing solo..And get the band going in the meantime...The more contacts that you make The better..So it follows that the more pepole see you the better

Tucci,
Just be aware of the commitment you are making to yourself. Spending the cash for mastering and duplication means that you want to see it through. My old band luckily decided to scrap the idea of our duplicating our last little studio project, and just dubbed it off and gave away tapes at our shows. It was fun and got people excited. A band I'm friendly with went all out on the recording, mastering, 1000 printed etc. spent a shitload of money on it, then only sell it at their shows. In the 1 1/2 years since then, they've sold about 30 discs and given away 50-60 (Don't be afraid to give em away). Lotsa coasters left. This says nothing of the total line-up changes, near breakups, evolution of your sound. Toady these guys sound nothing like the cd they're selling.

The point is that its a risky endeavor, so make yourself a promise to see the business end through. Swallow the money and give away a lot, send it to college radio stations in your region, get it reviewed in some sort of music rag, make posters for it, make consignment deals with record stores in the areas you're getting airplay, get gigs in those areas. Start in your town and branch out across the region with all aspects (Media support, product, and performance)or make sure you have lots of closet space for the unsold product. I still think the internet is a bit too anonymous to be real effective by itself, but don't hesitate to make it part of the plan. In your downtime, write good songs and perform well.

Its a daunting task to do alone, so dangle a (very) little money in front of your business savvy friends for their help. I sound like I hate it, but as soon as I'm done with grad school I'll be back at it. The really vital scene for music operates at this level, before the majors come in, you give local folks a sense of involvement ad belonging. Best of Luck.-lzb

Back