Making CD booklets line-up and printing

jackstpaulUHS

I’m going to be giving out to some friends a few (10-20 copies max) of a few different CD's I've made. I’ve put together the inserts, labels, and now have booklet material all written/designed & ready that way. This is absolutely lo-fi, DIY with no need for quality whatsoever. Low-cost DIY is all I can afford.

I'm having problems getting booklet material to print correctly, but now think I know what to do. I’ve played around with it and know about how to sequence the pages in prep and printing to duplex, fold, cut, staple everything in order.

I want: Booklets--almost all text, a small photo or graphic, of 8 pages on duplexed 2 sheets of paper, folded per sheet and then stapling the sheets together. I’m having problems printing with bleed, margins, lining it all up right and then getting other pages/panels/sheets lined up exactly right.

I have a free template from NEATO in Word that has the borders and margins all set for two side-by-side booklet pages. Using the template and its pre-set dimensions, margins, borders, etc., I shouldn't have the bleed/off-center problems I've been having. So I'll put my booklet material into those templates.

I've also found NEATO (or compatible) booklet paper products to print onto that are based on template dimensions, and that are perforated to tear away the non-booklet paper after printing.

I want to print/copy onto both sides so that I get 4 faces/panels (lingo?) with the stuff in the pagination sequence on the backs, doing that twice to get all 8 panels/faces.

What I want are glossy on both sides paper that are made for the template I have. I'm sure I've found the right margin/border layouts foe paper to match the templates. Multiple paper products available, but I’m confused on lingo.

But what does all of this mean:

"303 Series - 1-UP CD Booklet (Neato)
A Neato® compatible one-up CD or DVD jewel case booklet."

1-UP? What does that refer to? IT shows having the margins/borders/perforations built into the sheets.

"The Gloss Laser Tag is glossy on both sides. The Gloss Inkjet Tag is glossy on 1 side only."

I want glossy on both sides. What is meant by the "Tag" reference? Am I going to get glossy on one side or both with the product? I don't understand.

"•Color: Gloss White •Print Type: Laser •Adhesive: None
•Qty: 100 Sheets/100 Inserts •Alt. Model: 30326-C"

I want sheets, not inserts, unless they mean the same thing here.

I see some paper out there to buy is both inkjet and laser. To duplex, I'll have to do it via a copy machine at Kinko’s; it's too much to do it as computer printouts. Do I want to get products that list both types of printing, or ???

I can only order NEATO sheets on-line—I don't know where to find compatible sheets in the real world, if available--so I have to rely on on-line descriptions.

The jargon is confusing. What I'm looking to do is conceptually simple, but I don't find good explanations for the process and products to be sure I can carry it out as simply as it seems I should be able to.

Any help appreciated about lingo, process, and product suggestions.

Thanks.

Have you thought about purchasing a more intuitive software program?
You may save the money on ink alone.
Check out Sure Thing and Acoustica CD Labeler.:)

Have you thought about purchasing a more intuitive software program?
You may save the money on ink alone.
Check out Sure Thing and Acoustica CD Labeler.:)

Thanks Jim.

A software program doesn't even fit into the equation for my booklet project. I have Sure Thing and a couple of others. They're good for labels, but not booklets. I use Word for the booklet material because it's almost all text and with Word I can do far more in terms of word processing, formatting, etc. of the text than with those sorts of programs.

So now that I have a booklet template to use with the proper set-up of borders, margins, etc., my issue is printing onto the right/good kind of booklet paper.

I think I understand you, but the point about "ink" doesn't make sense. Whatever I do, I'll be using computer printers and copy machines, so I don't see a difference there. I have to buy some sort of paper no matter what.

Back