How to make my own website?

P Stew

im tryin to find out a way to put myself out there i thought first would be get a website and spread it around....

but still im kinda confused...

can i get one for free???

and were can i get it??

do i need help settin it up???

thank u if u can help me out

If you just want a place to post your tunes for free you could try purevolume.com or something like that. If you want to try your hand at web design there are many places that will host your site for free. Do a search for "free web hosting" or something along those lines. I'm sure many other people will have suggestions as well. Good luck!

try this out

I own a small web hosting company that focuses on artists, etc. Our packages start at $5 a month, hard to beat. I also don't mind giving advice and help to those starting out with web design, paypal implementation, etc. or I can develop the entire site for you for a reasonable price...

www.zoomis.com

Our band's website is being made up by a guy in Argentina for about $120 or so, after getting quotes from people averaging $1000 in other parts of the world. I've seen some samples, and it looks absolutely fine: several 'pages,' including opening title music with a bit of 'animation,' video, MP3 downloads, the usual stuff.

I created our bands website, and I think its quite easy for somebody with a bit of basic computer knowledge. You do need a form of html editor (I use Microsoft Frontpage) as well as somewhere and somehow to put your site. If you already have an ISP you will probably already have allocated space (not a lot but ideal just to get on the net with) and normally some way of uploading to your site (you may have to get an FTP program). The other you may well get is a domain name (this costs...) normally a link from you domain name provider to the site you already have. This version is the cheapest way to get a web address that is easy to remember. if you want more it costs...
If you are not sure what all the abbreviations mean drop me a line.. Then you need to advertise your site....

hope this helps a bit

Mal

i also use microsoft frontpage which come with the microsoft office software package. I have cable hook-up, so my cable company provides me with up to 7 free webspaces in which to create a site. Frontpage is very user friendly, meaning that you don't have to create any html tags (they're done for you), therefore minimizes the time to create a site, however i like to familiarize myself with the html tags because they may be useful in the future.
here is an example of frontpage capabilities www.members.shaw.ca/manifest

Dreamweaver for me =)
Hard to beat.

Get yourself a few HTML books, and get your head around it, its pretty easy, then making sites and stuff should be pretty easy.

- Idgeit

Yahoo! GeoCities is a free web host, I think their site builder is pretty easy to use. The only problem is you won't have your own domain with the free hosting. It will be like this "www.geocities.com/yourdomainname" which may be fine for you at this time.

Try a google search for "design your own website" or something similar, and you should be able to find several good articles on the subject.

Be careful when purchasing web hosting or design packages that include registration of "your own" domain. Many companies retain ownership of your domain, and you can be stuck out in the cold if you decide to change hosts. :eek:

Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com

I have fiddled around with geocities for a while now, so feel free to ask me anything you want to know about it, and I'll try to answer your questions. :)

Have a nice day,

http://www.davesite.com

on this guy's site he has a very thorough html tutorial as well as lots of other info about building websites, etc. i made my own site and everything i've learned camed from that website.

go to freewebs.com its easy and fast and FREEEEEEEE i dont work for them or anything but i have a website through them... its eeasy just follow the steps...

Having your own "official website" is great, but you soon find how hard it is to be found in the millions of music websites out there. You then need to promote your website for anyone to find you. Posting in forums such as these is great too, and will bring you some listeners. Joining music groups is another tool. And there are many more ideas, tools and tips that help in the path to be heard. But how does the artist reach the ears of those that may make a difference in their career goals?

http://www.artistopia.com

Easy to get started, uploads are immediate, lots of great info, Artistopia has a free indie plan available. Check it out!

P Stew said:
im tryin to find out a way to put myself out there i thought first would be get a website and spread it around....

but still im kinda confused...

can i get one for free???

and were can i get it??

do i need help settin it up???

thank u if u can help me out
Stewmeat,

A lot of people have told me that throwing up a web site is very easy. Well, promulgating a negative assurance auditing opinion is easy too, if you know what in the fluck you are doing.

Hosting

There are a bunch of free hosting sites. Yahoo, Lycos, Microsoft all host them for free. Personally I like, and use, Yahoo! GeoCities.

Creation

You can create a web page with Microsoft Word, Publisher (what I used), Excel, FrontPage, etc. etc. etc…. You may not be able to create the web page you want, but more important IMO to get one up than to make it perfect.

Creation… continued

Web sites can consist of lots of little files. Each picture, each mp3, etc. is a file. There is a really good reason to minimize the number of files that make up you web site… read on.

Uploading

When you upload to a free site you must upload one file at a time, so if your web site contains a boatload of files it may be a bit of a bitch. Of course, this is deliberate because better for you to pay than rely on advertising.

Little secrets I learned

Because free hosting sites limit how much storage you can have you may experience bumping your head against some limits. Note that www.photobucket.com provides free picture hosting, so you can keep your consumption down. I am not aware (which means nothing) if there are any mp3 hosting sites out there. You should also have an idea of how much traffic is hitting your web site. I found, quite by accident, www.statcounter.com, a free service that provides some Java code you embed in your site and which reports back to Statcounter who, when, from where, and just what pages, your visitors are looking at. Pretty cool.

And finally….

Promulgating a negative assurance auditing opinion is nothing more than saying, “Well… I didn’t see anything wrong!”

Luck!

Back