Got A Song On A Microsoft Commercial...Now What?

Robertt8

Hey!

Our band (Bag of Toys http://www.myspace.com/bagoftoysmusic ) just got one of our songs "Share" as the Music on a Microsoft commercial for their Zune product (direct competitor with iTunes). It's apparently at a national commercial and we caught it during a couple football games yesterday, the Simpsons, Family Guy... so it's already being played a lot.

Now my question is... what can we do to try and suck as much publicity or whatever from this opportunity. i guess we also need to sign up for ASCAP or BMI as soon as possible. Is there any other things we can do? maybe get a PR person to try and help milk this?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Tait
http://www.myspace.com/bagoftoysmusic
http://www.bagoftoysmusic.com

Robertt8 said:

Hey!

Our band (Bag of Toys http://www.myspace.com/bagoftoysmusic ) just got one of our songs "Share" as the Music on a Microsoft commercial for their Zune product (direct competitor with iTunes). It's apparently at a national commercial and we caught it during a couple football games yesterday, the Simpsons, Family Guy... so it's already being played a lot.

Now my question is... what can we do to try and suck as much publicity or whatever from this opportunity. i guess we also need to sign up for ASCAP or BMI as soon as possible. Is there any other things we can do? maybe get a PR person to try and help milk this?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Tait
http://www.myspace.com/bagoftoysmusic
http://www.bagoftoysmusic.com

Not sure what you can do, but I'd like to say congratulations!!!

Me neither.

What did you do to get it on a Microsoft commercial? Or did they come to you? :confused:

Edit: Good song too! :cool:

FALKEN said:
whoa go to ascap immediately and they'll tell u what to do.

cool... someone else mentioned that as well, so we're hopefully in the process of getting registered.

good call though.

cheers!
tait

danny.guitar said:
Me neither.

What did you do to get it on a Microsoft commercial? Or did they come to you? :confused:

Edit: Good song too! :cool:

a company that places music in things came to us because apparently they wanted to use that song in that particular commercial. that's about all i know. we're not registered with any kind of placing company like TAXI or anything...

Robertt8 said:
cool... someone else mentioned that as well, so we're hopefully in the process of getting registered.

good call though.

cheers!
tait

Hi Robert. Congrats, thats terrific :cool: ASCAP takes about 3-4 weeks, I just got my card. I would just mention it on as many sites as possible until you have a better idea of what to do besides collect the checks. It will be a great calling card for similiar opportunities.

DavidK said:
Hi Robert. Congrats, thats terrific :cool: ASCAP takes about 3-4 weeks, I just got my card. I would just mention it on as many sites as possible until you have a better idea of what to do besides collect the checks. It will be a great calling card for similiar opportunities.

Would it be possible to YouTube the commercial? I'd think you might be able to do that, then link to it from your website (and whereever else you can) with text that your band's music is in a Microsoft commercial.

If you can't YouTube it, maybe you can put it on a server somewhere (myspace or your own domain??) and link to it that way. The commercial does have your music in it, so I would think you should at least be able to get a copy.

If they came to you

how did they discover it?

Was it through your myspace page?

Congrats again. And get a copy of the commercial asap.

Robertt8 said:

It's apparently at a national commercial and we caught it during a couple football games yesterday, the Simpsons, Family Guy... so it's already being played a lot.

Congratulations...but I'm confused? You act as if your surprised it was on the commercial? Did you not get any pre-communications they were going to use your song on the commercial?

Maybe its the wording, as I read your post.."It's apparently.."

Were you just watching TV one day and said "hey?!! thats our tune on the Microsoft commercial??"

either way, pretty large, imo..hope you get some cha-ching.

Very Cool!

I've only been involved with a few local/regional spots - so I'm not really qualified to advise on a national spot - in particular with a company as significant as Micosoft.

I find it very hard to understand how Microsoft, or rather whatever marketing agency they used would have placed music in a commercial without proper clearance. Are you certain that no one in your band was more involved than you perhaps think?

Absolutly get involved with either ASCAP or BMI quickly - it's been awhile since I've read up - but I think both agencies will pay up to at least 6 months prior (I think it may be more like 9 months) so you should not lose out anything - but the sooner the better. I anticipate your song has a copyright - if not - do so ASAP.

ASCAP vs. BMI both have pros and cons - however, my research indicated BMI was a little better with international (I use BMI). Given the size and scope of Microsoft, it would stand to reason that if the commercail is at a national level it may get some international play and BMI may be a better choice - in any case, do some research to decide which is right for your situation

Find out who placed your music (there any some publishers who specialize in source material - but if you claim your have not signed any publishing agreements........). Whatever agency did place your song obviously has connections - try to make these people your new best friends.

Since I have no way of knowing what your band's goals are I could not even guess how to best use this - but it may be worth talking to an attorney who specializes in entertainment law (they not only can tell you what to do about the song in the commercail but they would likely know the right marketing firms or perhaps better management to leverage this.

If indeed someone in your band gave permission to use the song and there is no signed document which indicates what you may or may not receive it is likely you won't get any publishing - but there may be some fees paid when the commerical is aired (which again ASCAP or BMI can help you address)

Naturally, there are many bands who have 15 minutes of fame only to end up back playing Firday nights at the local bar - but you are wise to try to milk this for whatever it's worth.

At very least make sure your press kit has information regarding your involvement with Microsoft (a little name dropping is a great tool). Don't be shy about mentioning the commerical anytime you perform the tune at a gig.

Good luck - maybe this can open some doors (if indeed that is what your band wants) - clearly someome thought your music was "hip" enough to promote a Micorsoft product which is obviously marketed to a young generation (which I anticipate is your target).

Back