Kanye West Summertime Type Beat (are my drums still too weak?)

b0mbdrop

Don't have enough "happy" tracks so I made this sample beat the other day:

MP3 Player SoundClick

Came out sounding like some Kanye West type summer beat. It's meant to be a mixtape track with no hook; just two straight verses. What do you think of it?

Diggin this beat man...I agree that the drums are too thin...dont layer too much to kill that snare..its a smooth snare. Boost the kick in the 50-15khz..you could def try something with the composition...like a pause and back to the beat type deal if ya kno what im sayin.

Diggin this beat man...I agree that the drums are too thin...dont layer too much to kill that snare..its a smooth snare. Boost the kick in the 50-15khz..you could def try something with the composition...like a pause and back to the beat type deal if ya kno what im sayin.

15 kz? dude we can't hear that. If I want t little bump in the trunk, I eq the kick to that 50-75 is accentuated ( just a little bit) and I roll off anything after that, it turns to mud.

I think he mean 150; yeah I definitely gotta work on fattening out my low end. i just started learning layering too, and sending the layers to an aux to compress them together; didn't do it on this beat but it's definitely a technique i'll be using on future releases

Yeah these drums are still bunk.

Layer them.

Compare your drums to Kanye drums.

He said in an interview that he stole his drums from "Explosive" by Dr. Dre. It's the default set that he uses. Check a song like "Get Em High." You'll see them there.

Your drums are really holding you back.

ugh, yeah i know man; something about my system is making it so i have terrible perception on my drums cause i have to make them to what seems too loud to me in order to seem alright....i'll keep at it man, thanks for the feed!

what you can try to do is double your drum track..eq and heavily compress one of the tracks and layer will give your drums a nice full feeling

Love the composition... I agree the drums need help. Layering would help. The kick needs a top end and the snare sounds phased. Maybe go mono on both, front and center and go from there? Good work, keep on it.

the beat is hot.. no doubt... got me freestylin up in the booth n im only playin it on m laptop... so i cant tell about the layering of the drums..but obv;iously thats everyone's position so defer to them ...but make this beat available for something... cuz im phuckin wit it hard!

you can download the tagged version right off AfterTouchBeatz.com if you click the downward facing arrow to the right of the pictures for the beats but tagless version is only available through purchase of a lease

you can try all these above options: layering, serial compression, doubling, but imho, (besides layering) you are just shooting in the dark. There is no magic button that's going to save your mix and make your drums thunderdrums. Try eqing and MIXING the drums in your song, you'll be surprised by cutting freq's from a sample, bass, whatever, you can let your drums sit in the forefront of the mix.

for sure, i'm gonna play around with all the different techniques and hopefully i'll figure out what seems to work best for me

Back