Where did I go wrong?

Re-Lapse

So, I was working on a beat for a "client" I suppose you could say, he's a friend of mine and I want him to sing. He's incredibly talented.

Nonetheless, I wanted to make it slow, and meaningful with a lot of ..oh how do you say it.. "sadness" into it?

So, I came up with the whole beat and I was loving the hell out of it, and now I listen to it and I'm like.. "Where did I go wrong?"

So, if any of you could please explain to me, what it's missing, what may be wrong with it, or what you as a producer yourself would do to change it and get the feel I'm going for. He loves it, and he's working on lyrics right now... but I hate it.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7068267&q=hi

-Re

you hate it because you've been tweaking it for the past gazillion hours and your ears are tired-- he loves it because it's fresh to him and SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME WAY IT SOUNDED TO YOU..... before you started to hate it.... plain and simple-- that's what happens to those who produce... if the artist likes it, ROLL WITH IT...

you hate it because you've been tweaking it for the past gazillion hours and your ears are tired-- he loves it because it's fresh to him and SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME WAY IT SOUNDED TO YOU..... before you started to hate it.... plain and simple-- that's what happens to those who produce... if the artist likes it, ROLL WITH IT...

Will do.

I appreciate the feedback. Apparently soundclick is being horrible since that link is presumably dead.

But, if you did peep it, what do you think?

From a producers perspective..?

--Re

actually i didn't even get a chance to listen to it. I just read the cry for help and responded with the first thing that came to my head. If you don't mind sending me an mp3 i'll gladly listen to it.

Hmmm....ok it was aood a beat, all i can say was add a bassline to tie teh guitar and drums 2gether, also expand the guitar melody, like 2:02 it sounds more full, try some synths maybe, keep at it sounding great!

Hmmm....ok it was aood a beat, all i can say was add a bassline to tie teh guitar and drums 2gether, also expand the guitar melody, like 2:02 it sounds more full, try some synths maybe, keep at it sounding great!

Thanks. It's a bit difficult to add a bassline at the moment, I only produce with these cheap $15.00 headphones at the moment. So it's hard to set a good one that doesn't sound overpowering on everyone else's speakers, since it will bearly register in these headphones.

But, I do see what you're sayin, I just gotta find the right one.

I'll work on it some more and post it up again, when I get a chance. I work 9hr shifts all week, might not get a moment between sleepin' and eatin' when I can.

Thanks though, much appreciated,

Re

Rap songs are good simple since that's what people like, but if you wanna give it a fuller sound, then fill the frequency spectrum. Sounds like it's missing some mids. Maybe a very subtle bright chorded brass. Unless that's not the sound you're going for. It's all about what you're going for.

oh and also, my singer always loves my beats, and i'd always rather discard them but only on very few occassions do i wanna keep the beat. it'll surprise you what vocals can do to a track. the beat and melody sets the mood. how the singer arranges determines whether or not the song is gonna be awesome or not. listen to a milli by lil wayne. how long do you think it took someone to make the beat? 2 seconds? lil wayne turned it into a hit.

oh and also, my singer always loves my beats, and i'd always rather discard them but only on very few occassions do i wanna keep the beat. it'll surprise you what vocals can do to a track. the beat and melody sets the mood. how the singer arranges determines whether or not the song is gonna be awesome or not. listen to a milli by lil wayne. how long do you think it took someone to make the beat? 2 seconds? lil wayne turned it into a hit.

That's true. I guess after I edit up a couple things on it and take his acapella and work with it a bit, we'll see how it comes out. Appreciate the comments.

-Re

I'm a freak about good drum sounds. The ones your using sound like factory sounds off of a drum machine or fruity or whatever. Just my opinion, I think if you dig and fine tune your drums, it'll add much more character to your beat. Layer, eq, and compress. Don't over do it though.

Back