when someone comes in for a feature... uh. what do you do?

eeldip

ok, say i got someone coming in to help with a track... doing vocals, rapping, or whatever. and lets just say, ive never done this before.

um, how do you prep the artist.. what can i expect out of the whole thing?

he knows whats going on, has done this a million times. but me: never. just so i dont look like an idiot tell me if i am way off track.

email artist with some links to 3-4 tracks to throw ideas around (too many, too few?). he's got a CD, but just an update, and for some reason i assume he's lost our disk already

he comes down, checks out the place, we tool around for a half day or so, finding what is working and what isnt. and just trying to get as much done as we can.

that simple?

All I do is call dem, say man sup... come on I'm ready. He comes to the studio, I let him peep da beats which eva on he likes I rip it.

I'd like to help you out..but...

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you are trying to say man...

ok

it sounds to me like you are collaborating with this artist. to make this easy on the both of you, you should:

first, be somewhat familiar with each others style, if you are not feeling the other artist it will be hard to vibe on the song.

second, figure out if you are both starting a song from scratch, or if it's a song that's already put into motion, but just needs to be built upon.

next, figure out if each person has a particular job to do, or if it's whatever magic happens when the collabo session begins.

last but not least, everyone should be comfortable with working any equipment that they know they will be using. trying to figure out how to work something doing a session will definitely decrease motivation, so know how to work what you are bringing to the table, and hope the other artist knows how to work whatever he or she is bringing to the table.

another important note, ask the artist if the would prefer to have a private session or if it's ok with them if people occasionally stop by.

i was pretty vague, wasnt i?

beats are done, and i think i am only looking to get a verse or two of vocals out of it, and we have a 1/2 day, so winging it and seeing what happens should be plenty.

thanks all.

Back