Tips on Hip Hop Vocals

VirtualSamana

Need help getting those rhymes to sound good in the mix. Any tips for eq'ing effects and dynamics? How about tips on doubling, etc.

thanks

mr sol "After the Laughter" had some great Vox so I especially want to hear from you.

Hey gec,

Great song! Like the doubling. It’s nice and subtle. Did you use the same mic for both the lead and the double? What about the levels, eq etc. The vox fit really nicely in the mix. Very pro.

Hey Virtual,

Glad you liked the song. Yes I did use the same mic on the doubling. When I do a double or triple I usually pick the best performance and adjust that level the highest and the others just set a cun* hair back. If you go to much you will hear, you kinda just dio it by ear same with the eq. If you listen to the hiphop out there and study the vocals and compare it to how you double you start to see the major players follow the same pattern.....Their verses are all doubled and then they have stress points come in on the rhyme or the last count of the beat. Anyway, if you've got something (even a rough draft) and you want me to take a listen and give some suggestions let me know and I send you my e-mail address......ooh and yeah that sol is pretty good isn't he

Word Gec that track was hot, great female vocals, nice rapping, and that was loving, I liked the beat a lot! Nice stuff bro.

The best advice on vocals is to record and mix them MONO. I know none of you own a "stereo" mic, because there isn't one! Recording in stereo causes some sound quality loss right off the bat.

But I was told, and learned true, is that the best vocal processing is to leave them raw. That makes them the most natural, and leaves them feeling much more full and less processed. I experiment to much sometimes on my vocals. I like to add a small touch of limiting, maybe a 13:1 ratio, just to give them a lil crunch, and maybe eq a lil, suck some mid's out without making them less full, just to clear them up. But the best EQ for vocals is to not eq them.

Damn gec dat was some tight shit right there. What soundcard you using? Most definitely I liked the way you flowed on dat song and the chrous was too good. I'll let to hear more of ya tracks. I'll like to do can a track with you oneday. I think this is the best homemade rap song i heard on the net so far. Keep up the good work dawg. Peace!!!!! :)

Hey Gec.

I'm listening to 'No Question' for the third of fourth time.
I'm not a singer, nor a Hip-Hop or Rapper.
Blues and rock is where I come from.

Not being a singer myself doesn't mean I haven't paid attention to the melodys, vocals and lyrics of the singers I've played with.

Now, listening to 'No Question', I realize the effort and work it is to come up with the lyrics.
Line after line, phrase after phrase, on and on.

I never really paid much mind to it before till now. It all sounded mono-tone to me. But after listening to your song I see it in a new light, so to speak.
I like your song.
Did you do all the vocals or did you have some women backup singers help you?

I ask that cuz I know what can be done with a voice, and am curious as to how you do it, if it is your voice.

Good luck in the future.

For hip hop vocals my basics are to:
track the lead and a double. In the mix I turn the double down approx. 12 dbs less than the lead. Just eneought to thicken the lead but not so it sounds doubled.

Then I track 2 in and out double tracks where the mc doesn't double everything but just adds some here and there. I pan each of those 30-50% to each side.

Eqing, I always roll off the bottom end.

Other than that, everything else is done on an "as needed basis". I try to listen to the music and enhance it rather than making it something its not(if that makes any sense). The vocals should naturally fit in the overall composition, sometimes its neccessary to make room for them with equing other instruments and even the vocal track. But its all done by ear as needed. I think the best thing to do is play with an eq and listen to what changes it can make to different sounds. Then use the tool as needed.

Peace

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you all sooner I've just been busy...... anyway I'm glad you liked the track....so let me answer your questions.....

Badgas - 3rd or 4th time huh.... I guess I should make you the president of my fan club. hahaha Thank you!!!! As far as the female vocalist what I do is write the words and have the melody already down and I use a female vocalist to sing the hook. We harmonized her voice in different keys so you would get that sound....

Rapper2001 - Thanks for the feedback bruhhh....If you have anything cut already send it to me n' maybe we'll do a collaboration...I'll forward your stuff to my label........
graham2@home.com

Best on the net ..... I liked that......The next thing I'm gonna do with you guys is get one of them phat tracks off of Sol and make that boys music hit the mainstream......You here me Sol, I'm a show you things lyirically your boy jack can't do....hahahaha just kidding innovations was pretty tight, but that beat is to hot for that song......

Holla

Gotta Agree

I agree with Gec about Mr.Sols track, no disrespect, it sounds alright, but a better theme, or delivery on the vocals would've takin a dope beat to the next level. Need some energy up in there.

Aight, gec i'll keep in touch with you. I'll be gettin' a new soundcard soon, i'll let you know when i get it and then maybe we can take it from there. I'll probably do a couple tracks or something and let you hear it.

But this song sounded like a good old school song. Everything sounded so crisp clean and live. Yo voice sounded just right in the song. I like how the chorus just pop in there...i felt this song all the way. I can't wait to hear ya other songs dawg.

I'll keep in touch with you every now and then until i get this soundcard. Peace!!!!!

track twice,,, copying doesn't give the same sound....the pain in the ass about this is editing to sync the vocals

yeah, I try --- like I said its a pain in the ass to sync them but the resullt is worth it....post it when your done so we can have a listen

peace

Re: Gotta Agree

Cwadroon said:
I agree with Gec about Mr.Sols track, no disrespect, it sounds alright, but a better theme, or delivery on the vocals would've takin a dope beat to the next level. Need some energy up in there.

lol ok

Not tryin to shoot down your man on this one Sol.......I personally think he is going to grow into a great artist....but he's got some foundation work to do

Back