Samples vs MIDI

Devilfire

Which do you perfer......

I do sample , but really dont use them with MIDI instruments
I Like to do thing 100% Original, its more creative that way
but thats just me

not so ...that what your doing on a sample based machine, using MIDI controllers to trigger audio samples (compression\decompression)

i mean REAL MIDI .. sound modules\ soundcards (algorithms)
Real/Fav Soundcard: Yamaha SW Series (SW60 - SW1000XG)

Fake Soundcard (non MIDI) Soundblaster Live

Also by samples i mean "sampling", ripping music from a CD-Tape-Record- whatever instead of creating the everything yourself
melodies-breaks-etc

MIDI is a communication protocol... nothing more......

It's a series of commands that among other things allows the control of triggering samples of sounds.........

A sound module is nothing more than a collection of samples stored on a chip.... all triggered by MIDI commands...........

Compression doesn't enter into it at all... you can use a compressor on ANY signal source - sample or not.........

I still fail to understand why you think there's a difference............

Last edited:
In other words the fact that you are not not playing an actual physical, piano, guitar, violin etc. means you are creating a melody song by triggering samples from your module.

Other guys may trigger samples taken from a CD.

HA ha ... Blue Bear why you giving dud a hard time? You know what he means...Ha ha.

I'm guessing Blue Bear wants you to say factory sampled, pre-programmed, internal memory stored, midi triggered sounds or something. That's too damn long doc.

I learned about the pre-programmed midi instruments first. I really didn't have a clue about samplers and sampling. All I knew was that I had all I needed to do a song in one piece of equipment. If u needed more sounds I’d just cop something with more sounds and midi it up. When I finally learned about midi sampling it was kind of hard to grasp cuz by then I was so deep into the pre-programmed sounds. Now I realize the strengths of both. Sampling still takes me way too long so I'm still leaning more towards preprogrammed internal sounds. It all comes down to what you like to hear I guess. Peace

I'm not giving him a hard time........ I'm pointing out that there's no difference.......

How is grabbing a sample of a piano from a Steely Dan record different than playing Piano Sample #4 in a sound module?????

You can apply envelopes and filters to change either one, you can apply as many effects as you like.....

So what's the difference (or the big deal)???

Blue is right....MIDI just a language used to communicate between instruments...

Better question would have been

What to you prefer Sound modules/Synths or samples?

Raticus....

You have to understand what im talking about Blue, your just messing around.. and i refuse to talk about this any longer (hee hee hee)

Back