Thread: Can i normalize twice?

Thanks

Lightbulb Can i normalize twice?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have recorded a 2 hour dj set i have normalized it to -1.0dB and saved the project, now i want to normalize to -0.5dB or 0dB is this possible? will normalizing twice affect the audio quality?

original tracks are all 16/24bit flac files recorded in 32bit PCM wave on audacity.

Thanks

Thanks
    Normalizing only adjusts gain equally to the set point. So no, it will not affect the audio quality. Just the level. Watch out for clipping if you get close to 0dB.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Normalizing only adjusts gain equally to the set point. So no, it will not affect the audio quality. Just the level. Watch out for clipping if you get close to 0dB.

Thanks

Thanks
    Im sorry but I disagree. You’ll get some weirdness around the zero line if you start from the fixed point file. Whether it’s enough for anybody to ever notice is a big question, but it will be measurable. Ideally you’d want to start from the floating point source both times just to be sure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Errefae View Post
    I have recorded a 2 hour dj set i have normalized it to -1.0dB and saved the project, now i want to normalize to -0.5dB or 0dB is this possible? will normalizing twice affect the audio quality?

original tracks are all 16/24bit flac files recorded in 32bit PCM wave on audacity.
    If you are just trying for a half dB I would just "Amplify" (+0.5dB) in Audacity and not Normalize. It should preserve the "reconstructed peaks" and should not clip, but you can always run the entire output through the Orban Loudness Meter (app) and confirm that.

I'm curious why you'd want to do this. You can always just bump the fader when playing, and not risk having clipping in the set's audio.

P.S. that bolded text really doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean you just pasted together FLAC files, i.e., not "recorded" them?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    You cannot hear .5dB, so what is the actual point? The two would be impossible to identify.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    Im sorry but I disagree. You’ll get some weirdness around the zero line if you start from the fixed point file. Whether it’s enough for anybody to ever notice is a big question, but it will be measurable. Ideally you’d want to start from the floating point source both times just to be sure.
    That is what I meant to imply... Thank you for clarifying.

In the end, I am not sure what the OP want's to do anyway. I have never 'normalized' anything ever...
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    With the way most DAWs work, being "non destructive", you should be able to normalize and unnormalize a hundred times without changing anything in the original file.

I've used the normalize function often, especially if I'm having to make edits in the wave file. It helps to be able to see the waveform full scale to make the cuts. Of course you can zoom in but in Reaper, zooming in on the wave file does ALL tracks, not just one. If one track is significantly lower than the others, its easy to pop it up 15dB or so.

Thread Information