can I get a review?

ndutle

Hey guys,

I been reading on HR for a real long time (learning), but never got the nerve up to post a whole lot. That said, here's a song that me and my brother-in-law recorded.

Cable's problems
lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4907055&q=lo
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4907055&q=hi

Cable is his dog, and there's a lot of inside jokes. I realize the low end is boosted too much(need some room treatment), and the synth solo is probably too much, but any critics, please?

The quality seems low, you need osme better equipment, what are you using, maybe i can give you some advise

I compressed the absolute hell out of the vocal, to try to get a kinda lofi feel out of it...maybe I went overboard. We are really going for a old school/lo-fi thing. The equipment I'm working with, I think I can get a pretty good sound out of it. That was recorded in ableton, the mic was an SM58 (which is probably the biggest problem). I have better mics (my best for vocals is probably a Rode NT1a) but he has a hard time "getting into it" if he isn't holding the mic. I'm trying to get a room together where I can record decent vocals with a decent mic too.

What I'm saying is that nobody's trying to sell any of this shit. We really just want to have something decent sounding to listen to in our cars on the way to work, and I'm looking for advice as far as technique, and not equipment. My mortgage is having a hard time with the equipment I already got.

Noddy301 said:
*bump* That song scared the shyt outta me
LMAO!
Yeah the beat warned me that it was gonna be some strange sh*t before the vocals even dropped. Needs work though in the quality dept.

Go buy a 10 dollar mic from radio shak and not hook it up, if the MC wants to hold the mic let him hold that one while the other one is in front of him on the mic stand recording.

That's a great idea....I'll just give him the 58 (I might leave it plugged in, but no volume so he won't even know!) I really need to do some room treatment though, when I use the rode in this room, it "sounds like the ocean."

Thanks for the tip, and sorry if I gave anybody nightmares.

Back