asr-x pro urban dance exp card?

phillymac

Sup fellas and fellettes,

I've been checking out the posts here for the past few days, so I wanted to jump in to see if you can give me some input on what I plan on purchasing for my production studio.

So far this is what I've got so far

Ensoniq asr-x pro (base model)
Yamaha mu50 sound module
midi controller keyboard

Here is what I plan on getting in the near future

urban dance project card for asr-x pro
8 output expander for asr-x pro
aardvark direct 2496 direct pro w/cakewalk pro audio 9
studio monitors (any suggestions)
condensor mic (any suggestions)

I wanted to know if the urban dance card is really worth checking out? It's supposed to have over 400 sounds and along with my mu50 sound module (700 sounds) that should be enough. But the card is rather expensive
(about $400 bucks). Or should I just go about doing the cd-rom thing which in the long run would add up to be more than the expansion card. Any suggestions?

As far as recording goes, I chose the aardvark direct pro 2496. reason being that it comes with the full version of cakewalk pro audio 9, supposed to have good mic pre's built in, s/pdif outs and ins, midi out/in, 24bit recording, and so on for under 6 bones. Anyone has one or played with let me know the deal.

p.s. I've heard some bad things with the asr-x pro sequencer (or maybe it's a lot of mpc users bashing it) would it be better running the cakewalk sequencer instead?

phillymac

I've heard the same things about the ASR-X sequencer. I used to say a few my damn self... But after daily use I have to say that it may be a simple sequencer, but if you know how to use it it's incredible. If you're used to Cakewalk and it's MIDI methods then yeah you could use Cakewalk to sequence the ASR-X. I have the older ASR-X, the black one, and I love this machine. I also use the MPC-60, so I'm not an MPC-hater. I never checked out the urban dance card, so I can't help you there.

Since you don't necessarily seem to be going the CD-ROM route, I gotta ask what you're using for drum sounds???

thanks traks for the reply. Anyhow about the urban dance card, it's supposed to have (supposedly) plenty of drum kits, basses, sub-basses, loops, and other things that go bump in ya trunk. There are over 400 sounds in this one card. I wish I could get a list of the sounds that are on this piece but so far I haven't. I haven't ruled out cd-rom's yet. I know where I can get a cd-rom drive for about $128 (www.dirtcheapdrives.com) and my sounds will come from www.syntaur.com there they have cd-rom made just for the asr-x pro for about $170. if you know were I can find one cheaper I'm all ears

Phillymac

Back