Advice needed!

DA GOAT

I am a newbie to making beats so all the advice could be used. Right now I'm just doing it for fun w/ plans in the future to make it more serious.
I currently have: Drum Machine=Boss DR550 mkII
Keyboard=Yahama PSR-340
Mixer=Phonic MM1002
Moniters=JUSTer Active 76

I have $400 to spend what else should I get. I know I need a multitrack recorder(right now dont what to get into pc recording).

Even if its minimal advice given it would be appreciated.

If you are just making beats, then right now I would say just focus on the production side of things. A multitrack recorder isn't really nessecary at this point. I would learn as much about midi as I can if I were you, and stay in that domain for now(which is a great place to be for making beats).

I'm not real knowledgable about equip but I would say get a good sequencer, or a module/keyboard/mpc-ect, with a good sequencer built in. I started out with logic sequencing software and a korg x5d keyboard, so I advocate sequencing software over sequencing hardware. Is your keyboard multi timbral? if so, I say save up a little more doe and get a sampler like the s2000(600$) and some sequencing software( logic is 200$). A sampler will allow you to make your own sound patches and drum kits out of whatever you chose to sample. If you only got 400$ to spend rith now I'd say get some sequencing software(if you have a computer) and save up for a sampler or a good sound module(mo phatt, trinity, ect.)

As much as I would like to agree with eclips1 i just can't.1) get a good hardware seqencer,F@#k a software seqencer if you have a soundblaster card,or any other card! My personal preference is to use my yamaha RM1X for sequencing duties and leave the audio recording for my PC,another sequencer alternative is the mpc 2000xl,the timing is tight as f@#k,but your wallet can't be,it cost bout $2000 new,but it's pretty much whats behind hip-hop today.I would get a sequencer before a sampler,so you can learn a little more about midi programming. :D

Back