Will upgrading to 256MB RAM help plugin usage?

4-Man Takedown

My computer sometimes goes into the 90% usage range when I run a bunch of plugins on n-Track. Fortunately I can usually get by fine because I don't use to many plugins in the first place and my computer runs nicely, but I'm mixing an album and I think I'm gonna want to make sure that I am fine running just a few more. I have 128MB right now and it's doing me good, is upgrading to 256MB gonna be worth the $70-80 I put into it?

I thought about 512MB, but I really decided I don't need it to much. But would that be a major difference from the 256MB?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

memory

you shoudl definitely see a difference going to 256mb..If I were you I would go ahead and just buy a 256mb stick and that would bring you to 384. You should notice quite a difference in everything. Usually the 256 is a better buy as well, many times it's only a few dollars more than the 128. I usually go to www.newegg.com. They have good prices and usually free shipping.

dlv

4-Man Takedown said:
My computer sometimes goes into the 90% usage range when I run a bunch of plugins on n-Track. Fortunately I can usually get by fine because I don't use to many plugins in the first place and my computer runs nicely, but I'm mixing an album and I think I'm gonna want to make sure that I am fine running just a few more. I have 128MB right now and it's doing me good, is upgrading to 256MB gonna be worth the $70-80 I put into it?

I thought about 512MB, but I really decided I don't need it to much. But would that be a major difference from the 256MB?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Is this PC or Mac?

The minimun for Win 98 is 32meg, you should have 256
The minimun for Win 2000 is 64, you should have 512.

Ditto about adding as much as you can.. If you don't wanna worry about file swap hell, add a 512 MB module to the computer. This maybe a prob on an older computer since you might have to use low density memory. In other words, you might have to buy a couple more low density 128 MB SDRAMS for it. You can get low density 256 MB SDRAM but it's even harder to find. Basically any AMD Athlon/Duron after 750 MHz will support hi density memory and any Intel P3/ Celeron after 1 GHz should suport it as well...

Hi density SDRAM is gonna be the typical PC 133 modules you will see at the local office store. If you think you might need low density you should make absolutely sure you buy low denisty or you will be making a trip back to the store...

that 90% usage is most likely cpu usage. Upgrading ram probably won't make a difference, plugs use more cpu than ram. Edits use more ram than cpu.

ITS TIME FOR AN UPGRADE! i'd say you'd do best to get a new motherboard, cpu and ram if you want to keep hyping it with plug-ins. however shove as much ram as you can into it until you can afford the upgrade

Re: memory

muskgrave said:
you shoudl definitely see a difference going to 256mb..If I were you I would go ahead and just buy a 256mb stick and that would bring you to 384. You should notice quite a difference in everything. Usually the 256 is a better buy as well, many times it's only a few dollars more than the 128. I usually go to www.newegg.com. They have good prices and usually free shipping.

dlv

I thought you had to use matching pairs ??
In other words....2 256's or 2 512's but not a mix of different values.

i had 384 for a little while...it worked just fine....went and got another 128 stick to bring it to 512 and its still kicking

fenix said:
that 90% usage is most likely cpu usage. Upgrading ram probably won't make a difference, plugs use more cpu than ram. Edits use more ram than cpu.

True, but if an IDE hard disk is file swapping like crazy, this will cause big spikes in the CPU usage as well...

I'm not sure exactly my processing speed.

I have Dell Dimension XPS T700r. From about 2000. Pentium 3, Windows 98.

My buddy told me I need a PC-100 card, any suggestions would be very helpful though. I've been searching on the net for a while now about this, and everything I see seems to be contradicted somewhere else, so I am very confused.

I really only need a bit more power since right now I'm actually doing fine as far as running a bunch of plugins etc, but I think I may need a little extra for an album I'm doing in the near future. if I can find a 512MB strip for not much over $100 I may go with that, otherwise I'll probably go with 256MB for about $80.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah, I pretty much can't get a new computer for money reasons, so the RAM is what I think my best option is for an upgrade.

opinions are the spice of life....everything will always be contradicted by someone else....however...both options may work. confucious say "theres more than one way to do everything"

Re: Re: memory

Stealthtech said:
I thought you had to use matching pairs ??
In other words....2 256's or 2 512's but not a mix of different values.
No you don't. This is from the Crucial site:
Q. My PC came with 32MB of RAM. I added 32MB. Can I add 64MB in the third slot?

A. Different sizes of SDRAM modules can be mixed together. In other words, you do not need to fill each memory slot with the same size module, and yes, you should be able to add a 64MB module to the existing open slot on your motherboard. Keep in mind, the largest module should always be placed in the first slot for best performance.

4-man: Memory will help some plug-ins tremendously. Reverb, for example, is a big memory hog. Go for as much as you can afford.

Back