will I noTice bandwidth?

stumpEd

If I am never recording more than 2 instruments at one time, will I notice the bandwidth limitations of USB or firewire devices?

I understand the theoretical limitations of the lesser bandwidths--but will I notice them in my bedroom with my guitar, mic and keyboard?

WHat about playing back multiple tracks?

stuMped

If you are recording a track while listening to/monitoring what you already have recorded, you will run into 2 problems:

1. if you play back more than 3 tracks while recording one, you will make USB choke. USB bandwidth can only handle 4 tracks total - regardless of how many are being played back or recorded at any particular time
2. because USB devices are so slow, your latency values will be higher and most likely timing between tracks will be all off.

brzilian- yes and no...

I've recorded 4 tracks through my USB device while playing back 18! AT 24bit/44.1kHz.

The key here is that USB devices have a throughput of about 6 tracks at that resolution- 4 tracks being recorded and a stereo output for monitoring. For most homerecordists who don't even own more than 2 or 3 mics that's just fine!

It doesn't matter how many tracks you are playing back since your multitracking software mixs them to the stereo output, anyway. Any USB device can play back as many channels as your computer is capable of juggling.

I've also never had a huge problem with latency (22ms using ASIO drivers) or timing between tracks being off. It simply isn't true in my experience: over a year recording with a Tascam US-428. C'mon- USB stuff wouldn't stand a chance if it had timing issues! Its not at all true.

So, to answer your questions, stumpEd, No- if you are only recording 2 instruments at once you will not notice the bandwidth limitations of a good USB device. You can even record those 2 instruments in stereo and not notice.

As I think I told you earlier, though, you still won't be saving any money. Unless you NEED to use a USB device, there are much better options availble for the same amount of money.

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:

It doesn't matter how many tracks you are playing back since your multitracking software mixs them to the stereo output, anyway. Any USB device can play back as many channels as your computer is capable of juggling.

Oops, I always forget about that part. :D

I wholeheartedly agree on the $$$ part.

price?

THanks for the poSts..it seems as if there is some disagreement about whether the usb bandwidth will affect me.

Okay...but here then is my new question/

price?

THanks for the poSts..it seems as if there is some disagreement about whether the usb bandwidth will affect me.

Okay...but here then is my new question: both brzilian and chris mention that for economy, PCI rules, and so, if I don't need USB, it's not in by best interest to get it.

But, I am looking at the USB Tascam us248 vs. the omni studio (delta66/omni) which I believe are about identical in price . The omni comes with phantom power, which I've heard would tack on $100 bucks to the tascam.

So, it's not clear how the PCI saves me much money (unless people think that I don't need something as expensive as the omni studio).

ThanKs
stumped

I'm not sure how much either unit costs, but I do know that those preamps in the Omni are really good. At least I've heard great things about those pres- same as in the dmp2 and dmp3.

Yup, the US-428 won't have phantom power, so you'll have to get an external pre with phantom power if you want to use most condensor mics.

On the other hand, though, the 428 gives you a control surface that makes mixing pretty darn fun. That was my least favorite part about mixing on a DAW- using the mouse gets pretty old when you're trying to set up mix automation.

Other than the fact that the Delta offers 96Khz recording, I do believe that they have the same number of ins and outs! With the Delta, I think you can only record 4 tracks at once- same as the 428. If those are your choices, and you can get a decent preamp for the 428, I'd go for the 428.

But then, I'm biased. I just like being able to take my 428 and my copy of n-track over to a friends house and work on their computer...can't do that with PCI gear. :)

(Most people wouldn't care to do that, anyway! ;) )

Take care,
Chris

thaNks

aWesome, thanKs for the advice.

I thiNk I am probablY going to get the US428 at a place with a 30day return (it's oin sale); if I feel limitEd at all by the blue tHing, then I'll return it and give the Omni Studio a go.

Portability does sounD very sexy.

Happy to hear any other opinions...

Appreciatively,
sTumped

Back