Where is the middle ground between PRO TOOLS and MOTU???

pisces7378

Does anyone know of any company making similar products to Pro Tools that I could check out. I just can't believe that Pro Tools has the entire professional audio recording hardware market that water tight.
There is Pro Tools with it's $12,000 price tag and then MOTU with it's $1,900 price tag. I can't find ANY "in between" ground. Then there are the M-Audio (Delta 1010) type things, and they may be great project studio cards. But they are no where near Pro Tools, and although I have never heard the Delta 1010 or the MOTU 1296, I can't imagine that the Delta 1010 hold's a candle to the MOTU.

Does anyone know of any companies making cards and interfaces that rival Pro Tools that do not force me to take out a morgage on grandma's false teeth to pay for?

Or is MOTU truly the "next best thing" to Pro Tools?

Mike

q

Well, Digital Performer is a fantastic program, and is compatible with ProTools, meaning you can move projects back and forth. What middle ground are you wanting? Paris is between the two and sounds great but is a tad pricey, although I think MF has a clearance for like $2000. Are you talking about the cards only? If so, just get a Motu with the 8 S/pdif inputs and an 8 channel Lucid converter. Pow, as good as it gets.

I am talking about the hardware. I already have Logic Audio Platinum version 5. So I do not want to give that up to start working with Pro Tools. I am sure that there is some kind of work around that will allow me to use my Logic Audio with the hardware cards of Pro Tools HD (I guess) but I want to avoid Pro Tools on principal. Plus, JESUS, who can afford them? I could buy 5 MOTU cards and interfaces for the price of the lowest unit from Pro Tools.

Nuendo, as I know it, is a software company. I am talking strickly about Hardware cards and interfaces.

I think your choice will probably be dictated by what is available in your area. There is a lot of different choices. Motu, RME, Nuendo (yes they make hardware), Apogee, Mindprint. See what you are even able to order first.

I have been thinking about getting some more serious DAC but I figure I should probably upgrade my preamps first. What's the point of stellar DAC if you dont have stellar preamplification?

The new Roland Studio Pack Pro is kind of interesting and comes with native support for Logic.

just get one of the standalone A/D D/A Converters like Apogee, mytek or lucent...transfer it digitally to ur daw Via Lightpipe, spdif, AES..etc.. this is what the good sounding Pro tool studio do also so u will sound EXACTLY like them

Has anyone ever heard about TC PowerCore cards? It seems to be like the Mackie/Universal Audio Powered VST Plug-Ins card UAD-1.

They both seem to take the load off of the CPU and allow me to run my plug ins off these cards rather than taxing the ol' Pentium. Ever heard anything about the TC PowerCore? The idea sounds great. But it is over $1,000. The UAD-1 is also like $799. I mean, I am a plug-in HOUND and I love to shove things into PCI slots. But do you guys think that the cost is justified by the result? What I mean is... if you had $1,000 burning a hold in you pocket, would you give a second look at a PCI-Plug-Ins card solution like the TC PowerCard?

Mike

Back