What kind of soundcard for me??

SilentSound

Ok. I have a computer on the way(god bless e-bay)and i want to get a good sound card to simply put music on and burn it. The thing is, I have a digitech preamp that is also a converter that i hear sounds great, but it's 18 bit. I am mastering into the computer via outboard tlaudio tube eq and behringer compressor onto cool edit. Actually, i could not compress my main mix lightly, send it to the preamp for the tube-e-ness, and then to dat. Then from dat to multiband, eq, then into the computer, and the question remains......what kind of sound card should i get???

Well...I hear you're mastering to the computer, but how are you recording? Are you doing all your recording on the computer too, or are you recording to DAT (what, no multitracking?) and then just putting it on the computer to master and burn CDs?

If the latter, all you need is a good stereo sound card -- and who knows what your budget is, but real good ones start around $225. If you want more ins and outs, I assume you know where to look for a list by now and that they'll start around $450.

Yeah, i record to adats. Then the main mix(mini disk or dat) will be going through the multiband and eq before the computer. I might just bypass the dat's a/d converter, using the digitech 18 bit, and the tube front end in it for some drive and light compression during mixdown. Sometimes i find myself answering all my own questions. I guess i just start thinking about it more when i post. What brand of sound card do you recommend??

Back