weird audio issues with presonus studiolive 16.4.2

Singtall

i had some weird issues using my used presonus mixer. the issues started out as some weird noises when i used mouse scroll or moved the mouse. i ground lifted my mixer as a final last resort to kill most of the noise. next problem was that after i booted my pc i normally had to reboot the mixer to get sound coming out. later i had problems with the right output being lower in volume than the left. it was a predictable amount, so i just turned up my right monitor to balance them out. finally i noticed that my speakers just sounded odd. no low mids, and even my sub wasn't putting out really low frequencies. i tried eq'ing the monitors with the built in eq on the main outs, and it sounded better but still not perfect. i tracked a project in Sonar using the presonus mixer and everything went well.

fast forward to yesterday. i decided that i just needed to work on guitar tracks and mixing, so i disconnected the presonus and hooked up my Avid Eleven Rack......OMG what a difference! the tone was MUCH better, no eq needed or wanted. full low end. i had to turn the sub back down. no more noises either. right side the same volume as the left. perfection!

the problem appears to be the presonus firewire section of the mixer. months of pain to figure that out. i hope i can save someone else the grief.

Back